• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Numpty network question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numpty network question

My current set up is as follows;

BT homehub connecting to the outside world.

Connected to the homehub are a PS3, TV and a Netgear router via a 'homeplug' connection.

Connected to the Netgear router are various PCs, an iomega drive and a printer, some wireless, some cabled.

If I use the WAN port on the netgear router all PCs/iomega drive/printer get an IP in the 10.0.0.x range and can see each other but cannot be seen by the PS3 or anything on the other network (192.168.1.x range)

If I use a LAN port on the Netgear router everything gets a 192.168.1.x IP except the iomega drive which doesn't get anything.

Any ideas?

TIA

PL

You should use the LAN port on the router for everything (including the connection to the homeplug), and disable its DHCP Server, reducing it to a simple network hub rather than a firewall/router. My first guess would be that with potentially two DHCP servers on the network, your Iomega thingy (a NAS presumably) is getting an IP from the wrong place and so nothing works.

If you use the WAN port you'll have to setup static routes on both the routers, and all sorts of extra complications.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Sorted.

Ta Vectraman.

Comment

Working...
      X