• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developing for Android

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone made any money from Android app development?
    When you look at the ridiculously low prices of most apps I would geuss very few do. Mine is 3 quid which is absurdly low for the work I put into it. But other nature apps are free or 59p (sodding nature charities!) or a whole £6 for one with 10 times as many species it's hard to justify more. Selling only in UK hardly helps.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Mine is 3 quid which is absurdly low for the work I put into it. But other nature apps are free
      Know the feeling, I spent a fair while on my first iPhone app that went into the store as a free app and will realistically always stay that way and never make me any cash.

I'd release it free at first, at least for a few months while you polish it and add in new user requested features. That seems to be the way the Iphone market works and would guess Android is the same. £3 for an iPhone app would be deemed pretty expensive and is the price point for the big name EA games etc apps.

Comment

When you look at the ridiculously low prices of most apps I would geuss very few do. Mine is 3 quid which is absurdly low for the work I put into it. But other nature apps are free or 59p (sodding nature charities!) or a whole £6 for one with 10 times as many species it's hard to justify more. Selling only in UK hardly helps.
        Perhaps the money is to be made in having this skill, rather than selling something yourself? Also £3 doesnt sound much if you sell 10, if you sell 10,000 its a lot.

Comment

Basically there are two ways to make money developing phone apps:

- Develop an app that suddenly becomes a must have and sells hundreds of thousands at £3 each.
          - Do something more interesting with the data that the users generate.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

There is also a simple builder device, app inventor:

About - App Inventor for Android
            bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Now Flash Builder where you can develop for android, iphone and blackberry:

Adobe - Flex: Mobile application development with Flex

From a very quick look the tutorials seem really good, more than one can say for most android stuff which is very much in the Geek domain. No idea of price as yet, that's probably the big downside!

Not sure how transparent it is to develop on the three. It seems to use a runtime system on device, Adobe air, so one would assume you can pretty much develop and then export to any phone. On the other hand, the first step in every tutorial seems to be to choose the platform so it obviously ain't quite that simple.

PS Flash Builder 4.5 Standard Edition £171.71, about £70 if you can upgrade from Flex.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 5 May 2011, 08:46.
              bloggoth

Comment

dont read books

ok, a book is good for quick reference but to get an overview of the technology, I find that the videos work best.

one can learn the core concepts of android development from here whilst working on an app which gets developed from scratch during the tutorials.

Android Bootcamp Screencast Series - Marakana

I am a .net developer and recently purchased Motorola Xoom so I want to do some app development. Hardest thing I find is coming up with an idea

Comment

Thing about the Android store here

BBC News - Is 'open' killing the Android?

Yet sales of Android apps remain relatively poor.

IHS Screen Digest estimates that £1.1billion of revenue flowed through Apple's App store last year.

Android Market managed just £62m. The figure was lower than both Blackberry App World (£100m) and Nokia's Ovi store (£64m).
                  I don't understand this comment though, if you use the right keywords in your text the store search finds it.

"One of the most ridiculous things about the Android Marketplace is that the search feature is terrible.

"I mean, this is Google! You have to find out about the apps somewhere else and then go get them from the Android Marketplace," he said.
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 9 May 2011, 11:13.
                  bloggoth

Comment

Now Flash Builder where you can develop for android, iphone and blackberry:

Adobe - Flex: Mobile application development with Flex

From a very quick look the tutorials seem really good, more than one can say for most android stuff which is very much in the Geek domain. No idea of price as yet, that's probably the big downside!

Not sure how transparent it is to develop on the three. It seems to use a runtime system on device, Adobe air, so one would assume you can pretty much develop and then export to any phone. On the other hand, the first step in every tutorial seems to be to choose the platform so it obviously ain't quite that simple.

PS Flash Builder 4.5 Standard Edition £171.71, about £70 if you can upgrade from Flex.
                    You might also look at FlashDevelop, a free open-source IDE for AS3 development (flex, air, flash). It will be a bit more convoluted but if pennies are an issue it's worth a look. I'm using it for a Flex-based game right now and while Adobe's product is better, it does the job.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X