• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Firefox 4 final

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    So, AtW seems to think it's pretty damn good

Anybody else formulated an informed opinion about a complex piece of software within a few hours of its release? Obviously, pointing out that it does a bit more than Netscape Navigator 3 and therefore has a greater memory footprint than a piece of software designed for the days when 128MB was a huge amount of RAM for a desktop machine is an important point to make, but I was wondering if anybody had any views on some of the more recondite aspects of this release - stuff like the bit more that it does than Netscape Navigator 3, or indeed than Internet Explorer 4
    The application tab pinning is nice. Tab groups sound nice but actually don't seem to work in a very obvious way. Quite a few of the other new features listed here have been part of my daily browsing experience since I switched to chrome.

it's easy to dismiss the memory usage as the price of progress if you are an IT contractor with a well specced machine, but it will be an issue for corporate PC users as they tend to be a bit behind the hardware upgrade curve. A lot of less computer savvy people will simply write it off as a pile of tulip when their less than 2 year old laptop that only has 2GB ram grinds to a halt, and it will grind to a halt if you are one of those people who wants or needs to use several applications at once. That covers probably 70-80% of corporate desktops. Regardless of what marvelous functionality it might have a windows web browser that is going to require the corporate world to pay for and organise mass hardware upgrades is going to lose market share rapidly IMO.

Edit: The irony is that when I first fire it up it's about 1/3rd the size and actually seems pretty snappy. It's only after a bit of use that it starts to balloon out of control.
    Last edited by doodab; 23 March 2011, 09:34.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I said before I think FF4 has the nicest GUI of the major browsers, though in a large part that's because they haven't followed the trend in getting rid of the search box. They've also put the tabs in the right place, unlike IE9.

It still uses lots of CPU for animated GIFs for me, and I'm suprised they haven't integrated the tabs into the Windows 7 taskbar in the same way IE9 has (not sure I like that).

As for memory usage, there's often a balance between performance and memory with these sorts of things, and the decisions you would have made 10 years ago are different than today. But you can only compare it to its peers, and it does seem to use a fair bit more than IE9 whilst doing the same thing. In fact I'm sitting here watching the usage climb by about 150K per second - I wonder if it'll keep going up? Is it a leak, or is it being "clever" and caching things?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Edit: The irony is that when I first fire it up it's about 1/3rd the size and actually seems pretty snappy. It's only after a bit of use that it starts to balloon out of control.
        My mistake, I fired up v3.6
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          My mistake, I fired up v3.6
          Does this mean I can run it alongside FF3, and without screwing up current settings?
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            ... Back to the earlier version.
            I do love Firefox... but... "right first time" is not their modus operandi.
            Live fast. Die young. Leave a beautiful body of code. The following are not active yet:
            Small business accounting downloads Accounts software free downloads UK Invoicing free software Smith Family Crest Coat of Arms Shield Baggs Family

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Does this mean I can run it alongside FF3, and without screwing up current settings?
              I installed it in a separate directory and it let me run both versions, although it seemed not to save some settings.

I have now uninstalled both versions and reinstalled v3.6.x. I'll come back to it another time.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ldf1re View Post
                I do love Firefox... but... "right first time" is not their modus operandi.
                Considering the number of betas and pulled releases, I think you might be right.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

although in many ways I prefer it to chrome (which is missing things like noscript) the time it takes to start is simply criminal and now I've used chrome for a while I am very reluctant to start firefox if i need to check a site in another browser

I hoped Version 4 would address the loading issues - i guess by the fact that it is still a bloated memory hog that it probably doesn't load any faster - what a shame
                  sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

I don't really see the point of noscript. Modern sites are applications more than static pages, and many sites don't have proper fall-back to no-JS now even mobile phones have decent support.

That said: http://techie-buzz.com/browsers/disa...le-chrome.html
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I don't really see the point of noscript. Modern sites are applications more than static pages, and many sites don't have proper fall-back to no-JS now even mobile phones have decent support.

That said: Block JavaScript in Google Chrome. NoScript’s features in Chrome!
                      well I use a combination of that and adblock and flashblock so have got used to clutter free sites but don't really know which of the three plugs is contributing the most to that, but having used them for a few years I forgot how much tulip is going on in some sites - i never look or click on web ad and some sites are just far too busy with completely irrelevant crap

i like the menu it gives you which shows everything running on a page and allows you to stop individual sources - google analytics for example - seems to be on many sites but don't need it so turn it off
                      sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Working...
                      X