• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1

I see Microsoft have released Windows 7 Service Pack 1 this week.

Anyone been brave enough and installed it yet?

Any issues?

Yes, I've put it on two machines (both running 64 bit) and 1 VM (32 bit). The only problem I've seen so far is that the offline installer wouldn't install on the VM but using windows update instead sorted that.

Obviously I took backups of the physical machines first.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

No, but Lee Van Cleef is what a proper contractor should look like.

Comment

It's installing here via Windows update right now.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I've only read a brief summary of it but isn't it just a roll-up of all the Windows Update releases to date and not much else of significance?

I saw mention that it was up to 2gb in size (if you hadn't installed any windows updates previously), with my PC showing a download size of '44 to 533mb'. Quite some difference.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            I saw mention that it was up to 2gb in size (if you hadn't installed any windows updates previously), with my PC showing a download size of '44 to 533mb'. Quite some difference.
            On the system which I installed and got up to date last week it claims 87.2 MB is coming down. It's coming down mighty slowly, but I assume the MS servers are getting somewhat hammered right now.

Or do they throttle their Windows Update servers?

Edit: the download must have restarted; last time I looked it was nearly done on downloading 88.1 MB
            Last edited by Sysman; 26 February 2011, 10:15.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Installed it on this machine the other day. No problems encountered so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                I see Microsoft have released Windows 7 Service Pack 1 this week.

Anyone been brave enough and installed it yet?

Any issues?
                Yep, got it installed. Only thing I have seen is the introduction of Bluetooth.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  I've only read a brief summary of it but isn't it just a roll-up of all the Windows Update releases to date and not much else of significance?
                  Think they also target other known issues which don't fall under the critical or serious category.

What's included in Windows 7 Service Pack 1?

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an important update that includes previously released security, performance, and stability updates for Windows 7. SP1 also includes new improvements to features and services in Windows 7, such as improved reliability when connecting to HDMI audio devices, printing using the XPS Viewer, and restoring previous folders in Windows Explorer after restarting.
                  Think I'll take the plunge.

Comment

Put SP1 on 11 Server 2008 R2 platforms today.

Apart from the fact it takes @ 1 hour 20 mins ot install, all seems so good so far.

also did @ 20 W7 clients - again 1 hours 20 mins. I will push SP1 out to the remaining 100 odd W7 clients when I can arrange down time.
                    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Working...
                    X