• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, it doesn't pester me when I have it set to 'notify but don't download without my permission' option, which IMO should be the default option anyway.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      Windows complains (by default) if the automatic update isn't the default option. I think they need to review that belief.
      I've got a screen shot of what happens if you have it set to download updates and then check with you:

Originally posted by Windows 7
      Action Center has detected one or more issues for you to review.

Security

Windows Update

Windows Update is set to install updates after checking with you.
      So even when you take the sensible approach, they are trying to tell you otherwise.

Trusting updates to work isn't the only issue with automatic updates. If you leave your system on overnight, Windows Update is likely to sneak in and reboot it at something like 3 am, even if you have open applications.

They have a similar problem with shutdown and reboot. Task Manager will complain that you have running apps, but doesn't give you time to hit the cancel button and closes down anyway.

This is another area where Apple has it right; OS X will cancel a shutdown if any app throws up a dialog asking you to save your work (X11 will also do this, but you can switch that behaviour off and let the apps running under it trigger a cancellation).
      Last edited by Sysman; 15 March 2011, 13:46.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        "Best thing is, SP1 deletes restore points prior to installing!!!!"

Only a mug would have Windows [snip here Linux/OSX fanboys] Automatic Updates set to 'yes please fookup my PC without asking me first' mode.
        After several "incidents" that had me cursing, I have now shoved Windows into a virtual machine and take backups outside it.

A pity, because Windows Backup really steams along for incremental backups and in that respect it would be ideal for hosting virtual machines. The trouble is that I cannot guarantee a hassle free ride to do a restore.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Okay, so made the plunge and put SP1 on the laptop, which is not my main machine thankfully. Almost everything works just great...except for Google Maps in IE9.

At a specific zoom level on satellite image, the video driver crashes and attempts to recover. After a few flickers and screen blankings the entire machine is hung. On one occaison I actually got a blue screen! Bing Maps works just fine and if anything is faster.

I reinstalled the video driver just in case, but that didn't cure it. Went into safe mode and removed the driver, then installed it again. Nope same result. Totally odd and something that didn't happen before I applied SP1.

Think I'll hold off to update my main dev box until perhaps SP2 is out.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
          X