• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about going into work tomorrow to fire up the PCs up and let 'em whirl to make it easier on everyone on Monday.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      I've only read a brief summary of it but isn't it just a roll-up of all the Windows Update releases to date and not much else of significance?

I saw mention that it was up to 2gb in size (if you hadn't installed any windows updates previously), with my PC showing a download size of '44 to 533mb'. Quite some difference.
      My download was ~60Mb but Win 7 was upto date before this release. I agree, MS servers were very slow downloading it.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Here's one reason I won't upgrade yet. Breaking change in MDAC ADODB COM components in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (repost with MSDN liveID)

Brilliance by the boys at Redmond, they really know how to F**K you up.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          Here's one reason I won't upgrade yet. Breaking change in MDAC ADODB COM components in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (repost with MSDN liveID)

Brilliance by the boys at Redmond, they really know how to F**K you up.
          Crikey grandad, someone still using MDAC from 10 years ago!

Comment

"SP1 is fubared admit M$"

Windows 7 customers hit by service pack 1 install 'fatal error' flaws ? The Register

My favourite bits:

The Register has heard from lots of disgruntled readers who are wasting precious time having to rebuild their machines after the service pack had led to fatal flaws in the OS.

"Best thing is, SP1 deletes restore points prior to installing!!!!"

But with Microsoft unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem, users are suggesting the only way to avoid the problem is switch off WSUS

Only a mug would have Windows [snip here Linux/OSX fanboys] Automatic Updates set to 'yes please fookup my PC without asking me first' mode.
            Last edited by PAH; 14 March 2011, 16:30. Reason: Too busy rolling on the floor to highlight the juicy bits.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Mine is sitting there with the box unchecked. I will let a few more of you install it I think.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Not there on mine, though there is IE9 Release Candidate.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I see SP1 is in my list of new updates, but the box isn't checked by default. Is that normal or have they done something to try and stop it getting installed by accident until finding the problem?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    "SP1 is fubared admit M$"

Windows 7 customers hit by service pack 1 install 'fatal error' flaws ? The Register

My favourite bits:

The Register has heard from lots of disgruntled readers who are wasting precious time having to rebuild their machines after the service pack had led to fatal flaws in the OS.

"Best thing is, SP1 deletes restore points prior to installing!!!!"

But with Microsoft unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem, users are suggesting the only way to avoid the problem is switch off WSUS

Only a mug would have Windows [snip here Linux/OSX fanboys] Automatic Updates set to 'yes please fookup my PC without asking me first' mode.
                    Windows complains (by default) if the automatic update isn't the default option. I think they need to review that belief.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                      Windows complains (by default) if the automatic update isn't the default option. I think they need to review that belief.
                      It complains about a security risk IIRC if you turn it off automatic but that doesn't mean you have to apply updates automatically. You can set it to download them automatically or listen for new updates and then it simply lets you know updates are available.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X