• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buggered AD Domain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buggered AD Domain

Anyone know AD?

Just setup a AD domain for a family friend this past weekend and all has not got to plan. This is a small network, single DC, 12 PC's not a big thing. Installed Win2k3 Std, added File Server, AD, DNS, DHCP, WINS & Sharepoint roles.

All appeared to got well, but then started getting strange errors, like logins taking ages, and unable to open files on shared dirs'.

My gut feel is to start again from scratch, but don't want to do that as it seems like a waste. Hoping it can be rescued.

Lookng through error logs on workstartions, they are complaining they are getting access denied on gpt.ini and did a dcdiag on the server and seeing some errors like the following

Starting test: NetLogons
    * Network Logons Privileges Check
    [SERVER1] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 64, Win32 Error 64.
    ......................... SERVER1 failed test NetLogons

Starting test: frssysvol
    * The File Replication Service SYSVOL ready test
    [SERVER1] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 64, Win32 Error 64.
    The registry lookup failed to determine the state of the SYSVOL. The

error returned was 64 (Win32 Error 64). Check the FRS event log to

see if the SYSVOL has successfully been shared.

Starting test: Services
    Could not open Remote ipc to [SERVER1]:failed with 64: Win32 Error 64
    ......................... SERVER1 failed test Services

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Does this help?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...0-8ac36e585d6f
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

The access denised error on the workstations is pointing towards the file used for the group policy objects - ie what you use to manage the server/users/workstations settings.

SYSVOL is where the AD database is stored, FRS is used to replicate it around to other domain controllers, not relivant in this case i know, but it does point to a permissions problem that would cause issues with the GPO's, that would also cause slow logons etc.

You can try a couple of things - turn security logging on for the sysvol folder (normaly in the system32 or just windows if i remember correctly, don't do this stuff anymore) and see what system users are being denied access to sysvol.

Confirm DNS is working correctly, DNS is key to AD.

You could also try logging onto the sysvol folder from on of the workstations as a domain admin, you should be able to browse to it, if you can't then it isn't shared, or again the permissiosn aren't correct.

Problem here is that the permissions/sharing of the syvol is part of intial setup when you create a domain controller and hence it should be automated. I would expect other problems further down the line even if you do manage to fix this, so i would really suggest a complete rebuild. Also make sure you disable any AV on the DC whilst installing AD otherwise it might block file shares etc that are part of the process.

That'll be £2K please, thanks.

Comment

Imm my gut feeling is that is is a DNS error

You did name the forest something.something when you did the install ??
        www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post
          Imm my gut feeling is that is is a DNS error

You did name the forest something.something when you did the install ??
          WHS, I've seen similar symptoms from goosed DNS configs quite often.

Comment

Just had another look at the SYSVOL folder, I have got in the NTFS security tab an 'Account Unknown' in there, which implies that some critical account has been deleted, SYSVOL inherits stuff from c:\windows and thats the same.

I think that might be the cause of the problems, no clue what this 'Account Unknown' is

The accounts listed are

'Account Unknown'
            Administrators
            Creator Ownder
            System

I am guessing the Account Unknown should be Administrator???

Reinstall looking more likley
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

DNS.

You probably have your DNS server using the Internet to try and resolve local IP addresses unless you setup DNS properly and that's more than just installing it.

Comment

You unlisted account is probably "Authenticated users" - they need permissions to be able to read / execute. Otherwise users wont have permission to read group policy etc (like you are seeing)
                On our 2003 DCs we also have "Server Operator" - not sure why that is missing off your list
                Check the permissions on that unknown account.
                Agree about the dns though as well. Check your DC is ONLY pointing to itself
                Also take a look at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...1479_36_0.html. Theres a suggestion at the bottom of redeploying the default domain controller security policy.
                Last edited by dmini; 30 September 2009, 20:02.

Comment

DNS - my first thought.

post ipconfig /all on ws & server.

without DNS 2003 AD is like a dead parrot.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yeah, gotta be DNS.

Actually, I haven't a clue - it's just what everyone else is saying.

On the other hand, when I had my grief with AD it did turn out to be shagged up DNS too.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X