• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pop3 & SMTP setup on Demon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop3 & SMTP setup on Demon

Folks, I'm trying to set up Outlook 2007 to access a Pop3 email account tied to a Demon website. I've followed the instructions to the letter and still can't send email.

I can receive but not send!

Please help!

Who is your broadband provider. Some broadband ISP's don't allow you send e-mail through anyother SMTP gateway other than their own. Bethere is like that - I can only send mail through their SMTP gateway.
    Check with your broadband provider.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Are you using a Demon connection? If not, it may require that you send authentication information to the SMTP server.

If you are using a Demon connection, what is the error you are getting?
      The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Who is your broadband provider. Some broadband ISP's don't allow you send e-mail through anyother SMTP gateway other than their own. Bethere is like that - I can only send mail through their SMTP gateway.
        Check with your broadband provider.
        Ahhhh, I'm using 3G mobile broadband...

Originally posted by KevinS View Post
        Are you using a Demon connection? If not, it may require that you send authentication information to the SMTP server.

If you are using a Demon connection, what is the error you are getting?
        Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Ahhhh, I'm using 3G mobile broadband...
          Which 3G provider?

If it's 3, then use port 587 for the SMTP port and Demon's SMTP stuff. On Vodafone, you can use send.vodafone.net as the SMTP server, I believe.. No idea on the others..
          The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by KevinS View Post
            If it's 3, then use port 587 for the SMTP port and Demon's SMTP stuff.
            I was caught out by this recently as well - I'd been merrily using port 25 without issue for more than a year when 3 decided to lock it down. Fortunately I host my own SMTP server so I was able to configure another port.

I think 3 also have an SMTP server you can use (like Voda).
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
            X