• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best 3G dongle?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 3G dongle?

Who does the best coverage/deals on 3G dongles to surf on the go?

Are these deals with a free netbook good value or a marketing con?

3, T Mobile, Vodaphone, O2, Orange etc?

Any ones to avoid?

A lot depends on where you are. I have a Voda PCMCIA data card. It's ok where I generally use it - 3G signal about 3km away from the cell. I think it's 15 quid a month unlimited (though retail might be only 5gb). However I know a couple of people in similar positions who returned the dongle thing to Voda.

My old man uses 3 and gets a 3g signal where I can only just get a voda GPRS signal. Again I think they are 15 quid a month for 15gb now.

Make sure you can return it if it turns out pants where you want to be.

O2 - which I can't get - had an offering where they threw in unlimited BT openzone as well - so that may help in some areas.

The combined notbook deals don't look good to me. Mainly 24 month 35 quid contracts, so you're probably pretty close to paying 500 quid for the notebook.

Also, most of the mobile cos will add a dongle onto your account for very little. Voda offered it to me for a fiver.

Of course, none of this is problably any use whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Who does the best coverage/deals on 3G dongles to surf on the go?

Are these deals with a free netbook good value or a marketing con?

3, T Mobile, Vodaphone, O2, Orange etc?

Any ones to avoid?
      Am hoping to sign up to O2 Mobile Broadband for £3 a month. Saw the offer at the Ideal Home Show. Am waiting for the pimp to call back.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I haven't roamed much looking for WIFI hot spots, but aren't they common enough now that you could get away without using 3G, especially near e.g. a city library?

Comment

I got a 3 contract with a free netbook after trying a vodafone dongle. It's briliant, we wanted a netbook anyway but it meant the LTD pays for broadband and we get a free netbook (ahem I mean, what netbook?).

Voda was poo unless you were next to a mast, yes it has theoretical top speed in the UK but in reality in both the outskirts of Manchester and inner city Glasgow where I need it, no signal frequently or sometimes GPRS, never got 3G.

Three on the other hand has been fantastic to the point where I can work on the train (a pendolino swishy fast one too) for about 2/3 of the journey.

It's stuck at around 2mbs but for the coverage that's great.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            I haven't roamed much looking for WIFI hot spots, but aren't they common enough now that you could get away without using 3G, especially near e.g. a city library?
            Only if you want to work in a train station. There are no public wifi spots near my desk which is a shame.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I am with Three. They do 15GB for £15. My friends contrct had expired and after saying he was going to cancel he now gets the 15GB for just £5 p/m

Comment

If you have BT "Total Broadband" and allow them to install a wi-fi router at home, you can then use wireless anywhere in the world free (so long as it's within range of another member)

http://www.btfon.com/support/faqs

I suppose the one drawback with this would be
                When you log on to BT FON while you are out and about you will get up to 512kbp
                I'm not on this, but would join like a shot if my next contract (if it ever materialises) is away from home, either UK or Europe. Use the broadband at home for any large file transfers or streaming, wi-fi for email and general browsing.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

More useful links on free wireless internet

moneysaving expert link
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

£15 for 15Gb a month looks good with 3. Can you run a home network through this? I have several PC's and a PS3 networked and typically use about 12 to 14Gb a month but my connection is only 512kb ADSL.
                    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 19 April 2009, 19:22.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X