• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice wanted - NTL broadband and router/firewall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice wanted - NTL broadband and router/firewall

I have an NTL cable modem connection and am looking at options for a dedicated router/firewall device.

I have found this Vigor 2200 E product for £103+VAT.

Features are:

The Vigor2200E is a combined router, firewall and Ethernet switch designed to provide broadband Internet connectivity to your LAN. It is compatible with any broadband device which provides a 10BaseT Ethernet connection, for example a cable modem or ADSL feed with Ethernet. The Vigor2200E is particuarly ideal for cable modem services from NTL and Telewest BlueYonder. Once installed, all users on your LAN can surf the web or download files simultaneously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware Platform Specifications

Product Highlights
    Built-in 4-Port 10/100BaseT Ethernet Switch (with automatic uplink)
    NAT Firewall - with IP Packet Filtering
    VPN 'passthrough’
    DMZ Host Support
    Routing Features

Internet Protocols : PPP, PPPoE
    Static routing
    Dynamic routing with support for RIP-2
    DNS Proxy & Cache
    NAT Features

DMZ (Demilitarised Zone) - For passthrough of all protocols/data to a single internal host
    Management Features

Telnet access to the router
    DHCP server
    Graphical user-friendly interface (HTTP)
    Diagnosis Tools
    Flash-Upgradeable memory for firmware upgrades/enhancements
    Security Features

NAT Firewall with IP Packet Filtering
    IP Anti-Spoofing
    LAN Ports

Built-in four port 10/100 Ethernet switch
    WAN Port

RJ45 Ethernet Port

I this a good product? Any advice suggestions appreciated.

DP.

Re: Router/Firewall

DP -

Certainly sounds like you have all the features you would need for general home b/band use.

I have used LinkSys products before and they work nicely. I think for about the same price as the one you have listed you can get one with 802.11b (wireless LAN) capability. (Naturally you'll need an 802.11b card for your PC(s)/Laptop as well.)

If you search Amazon, say, for LinkSys ......

Comment

See the ADSL Router/Modem thread further down as well - gives a few more examples.

Comment

Comment

SMC Barricade is good, I've got 7 port one. Sweet stuff, the only complain is that my model does not support WiFi

Dont buy cheap Belkin (40 quid) stuff -- its not playing well on BlueYonder network. Be careful with support for certain internet protocols: I am not expect in this area, but AFAIK some routers do miss out certain nice and must to have protocols, make sure you read reviews, especially from people who use it on your cable network!

Comment

Don't get one without wireless - you'll wish you had within a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
            X