• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Annoying Pop ups

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying Pop ups

Hi,

Not being the most technical person, Iwould welcome any advice from those of you who obviously are.

I am getting fed up with unwanted Pop ups appearing when I surf. Worse, one pop up started to install software onto my PC and told me to wait while it did so.

Is there any software I can get that will prevent these pop up (and also help clean up whatever software they are dropping onto my PC)?

I'm running Windows ME (don;t laugh).

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Mike

popups

:rollin

Comment

sorry

couldn't resist....
      do a search for popup killer (loads of them) or disable scripting in your browser.
      btw: scripting cannot write/install anything on your machine. it doesn't have permissions. (unless of course you ...?)

Comment

Re: sorry

I knew that. Um. Oh yeh. Bollox.

Comment

use a non-m$ browser ?

I use Opera for web browsing on windows - one of the options is 'open requested windows only' If I dont click on something to open it the browser doesnt allow it.

Comment

Re: use a non-m$ browser ?

its highly unlikely you will download anything nasty unless you explicitly say to do so. pop-ups are annoying but thats about it - and they do fund a lot of free services through advertising revenue so they're not all bad

Comment

> they do fund a lot of free services through advertising revenue so they're not all bad

I won't serve popups or popunders because they annoy me intensely. If I visit a site and get more than one I never return.

What does annoy me is the banner blocking software - many sites are funded by advertising - if the advertising is eventually completely blocked a whole lot of sites that rely on it in part for their funding will simply go.

If you visit a site you should "pay" for the benefit - that means letting them throw their ads at you - if it pi55es you off don't go back there - simple.

Comment

If you are using IE 6 then change your security settings to HIGH and disable all active X plugins and controls

Comment

The purpose built ad blockers and popup stoppers do a better job. Naffing about with what cookies you allow, disabling scripting etc. often stops site you want to visit from working properly.

Now - can anybody point me to some scripting that detects ad blocking so I can divert users of it to a page that says FOAD ?

Comment

Yo !!

somebody visited ********* from this page and it reminded me of this so I did a search - there is such a product www.antiadbuster.com Next task ... find a free one

Comment

Working...
                    X