• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web site as directory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web site as directory

Sometimes you see web sites with no content that act like UNIX directories, you can just navigate through and click on any file to download. I know you can do this by not having an index.html, at least with the host I'm using anyhow.

But is there any EASY* way of making just part of a website work like this?. (Without actually having to update a page of links every time you upload a file).

*Note
    Anything suited to web moron who knows HTML but not a lot more.

Simply create a subdirectory with just a bunch of files, but no index.html.

Then point your browser at it with www.mysite.com/subdir/ to see your unix style directory listing.

It can get a whole lot more complicated if you want to apply access restrictions.

Comment

rey:

depends on your webserver settings

Comment

Re: rey:

Ta Sysman. In fact on hindsight its so bleedin' obvious I have just given myself a good kicking. Only for use by trusted people so security is not an issue. Can't imagine anyone wanting to hack into my site anyhow.

Comment

Xog, can you post a link to your site as I and the rest of the lizards would like to keep in touch.

I'll be on the second carriage of the 12:15 Bluebell Express (unless they put that creepy Thomas the tank engine car on).

See you when we come out of the tunnel:hat

Comment

Missed you. My Sunday was spent at birthday barbeque at the in laws, something far worse than world domination by an alien species.

And it ain't Thomas, its a cheap lizard imitation called Stepney and website is on my personal link.

But you won't care about these things soon as you won't come out the tunnel quite as you went in anyhow.You probably won't notice anything at first, the first signs of the hideous transformation awaiting you are usually quite small, like seeing an earthworm or spider and feeling hungry.

Comment

Working...
            X