• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hosting mail on my own server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hosting mail on my own server

Okay,

This is probably a silly question, but I'm fed up with NTL (who host my email at moment) having a large amount of down time.

Eg.

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR mail storage services unavailable, wait a few minutes and try again.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

So, what do I need to host email (pop3/smtp mailboxes) on my own Windows 2000/2003 Server?

Any suggestions. Am I tied to using MS Exchange or are their freeware/shareware software packages?

I really want to be able to use either Outlook express or a web browser as the client and be able to access my email from anywhere.

Please don't mention Linux or I will have to kill you >:

Thanks,

DP.

Dim, you will need fixed IP for reliability, plus hosting mail server on your box may be considered a hostile act by NTL

btw, i am suprised you using SSL to retrieve your mail -- this is not natural thing for POP3 protocol!

best suggestion is to get cheap hosting with mail facilities -- this can cost like a 5er a month, I am geting my own big fk off dedicated server to solve this and many other problems, I'd give you access but you were not on my side as often as I'd liked

P.S. My box will run Linux 8)

Comment

AtW - time to pick your brains please

OK, I have my own mail server, fixed IP, permanent connection, and it works well. It also gives me the power to block a fair bit of spam

Incoming mails work fine, and show no trace of my ISP being involved, but all my outgoing mails show the gateway of my ISP. That's obvious, because I have defined my mail gateway as the one the ISP offers.

I would prefer to go straight from my system to the outside world, without involving the ISP's mail gateway.

Any hints, pointers or clues welcome.

Comment

Atw,

I already run a webserver on the NTL connection and so far NTL have not complained, even tho technically you are not supposed to run services on the connection.

Also my IP address remains static for months on end, so I'm not worried about that either.

Anyone used/heard of the software below?

ArGoSoft Mail Server Pro
        Shareware - 98 NT 2k Me XP
        BaSoMail
        Demo - 98 NT 2k Me XP
        CMailServer2
        DeskNow Mail&Collaboration Server
        Freeware - 98 NT 2k Me XP
        FTGate
        Demo - 98 NT 2k Me XP
        GFI MailEssentials for Exchange/SMTP
        Commercial - - - 2k - -
        Imail Server
        Demo - - NT 2k - XP
        Inox
        Shareware - - NT 2k - XP
        ISMail
        Kerio MailServer
        Demo - 98 NT 2k Me XP
        M3Server Newly Added Demo - - - 2k - XP
        Magic Winmail Server
        Shareware 95 98 NT 2k Me XP
        Mail Direct
        MailEnable Standard
        Freeware - - NT 2k - XP
        MailMax
        Demo - - NT 2k Me XP
        MDaemon
        Demo - 98 NT 2k Me XP
        Merak Mail Server
        Mercur Mailserver
        Shareware - - NT 2k - XP
        MServer
        netMailshar
        PostCast Server
        Freeware - 98 NT 2k Me XP
        PostMaster Express
        Demo - 98 NT 2k Me XP
        ShareMailPro
        VisNetic MailServer
        WebEasyMail
        Shareware - - NT 2k - XP
        WorkgroupMail Mail Server
        See Home Page 95 98 NT 2k Me XP

Cheers,

DP.

Comment

re:

simple thing to do is to change to yahoo or lycos.

Comment

if you have fixed IP then just get sendmail or qmail - they should run on windows, i have not tried tho cuz I dont trust windows to be a server

Comment

re:

atw, i'm not sure this a freeware sendmail program for windows. there's a shareware, but i couldnt get it working.

if you wanted to build one you'd have to plug into all the sockets POP, IMAP, SMTP, l. etc. The latter is especially tricky. you would also need to run off specific commands through these sockets.

Comment

re:

..and then when he looks up the screen he sees that there is in fact many shareware and some freeware mailers..

Comment

Re: re:

Assuming you have a domain name use someone like dnspark to host it for you. They have an automated system so if (and with ntl its a not very likely if) your ip address changes software on your machine can notify them of the change and they'll update their dns records immediately.

Comment

"if you have fixed IP then just get sendmail or qmail - they should run on windows, i have not tried tho cuz I dont trust windows to be a server"

Tee hee. I don't run or trust windows either . I do have it for support purposes, but that's all, most of the time it's firmly switched off.

But you missed my real question. If I have an MX record which delivers mail to me (which it does), do I really need a mail gateway or can I just send mail "out into the ether"?

Comment

Working...
                    X