• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web hosting COM objects

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web hosting COM objects

Anyone know if there are any web hosting companies that will allow me to put COM objects on my website?

I need to use a COM object to resize images, but so far I can't find a host that will allow me to do this

Anyone got any other ideas? I was wondering if maybe I could get pure VBScript code to resize jpegs.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

it's simple

with vb/vbscript. no need for a com object at all. just do your calculations for resizing and then response.write out all your html, embedding the variables you use for height & width in the html.

Comment

Re: it's simple

I know you can just change the size of an image by changing the width and height, but I actually want to shrink the image so it takes less disk space and time to load.

Not sure on the algorithm for doing this. I do remember reading that you can get a very blurry image if you just sample every n'th pixel.

Comment

right - i didn't realise you meant to reduce the file size. don't know. why not reduce them before they reach the server? simple to do using a batch job with a graphics prog. that'll reduce colour depth and bring resolution to 72dpi. if you insist on doing it yourself, (certified madness ) have a look at

www.vbaccelerator.com/codelib/gfx/vbjpeg.htm
        as a possible start.

Comment

I may have to use a batch job as a last resort.

Mind you, being out of work, I've got all the time in the world to write my own

Comment

If you already have the images then as ScotsPine says running a batch conversion through something like Photoshop or PaintShop Pro is probably the easiest option.

If it's the case that you're dealing with images that the user is uploading, which you want to resize, then you're definately going to need a COM component of some sort, in which case searching on Google or checking out some of the developer sites is your best bet.

I had to do something similar on a site some time ago and decided to write my own component (unfortunately don't have the code anymore), but it's not something I would recommend for the faint-hearted as you're gonna be dealing with API/GDI calls by the dozen.

Comment

The only problem is, if I'm using shared hosting, the host probably won't allow COM objects

Comment

If you really need to use COM based components then theres certainly a few I know in the US which will do such things (probably the same in the UK, but the US is generally cheaper), but definately theres a premium for such services.

A good start is www.hostindex.com/

Alternatively if you're thinking of doing such things in future then you might want to consider using .NET as there seems to be more sites willing to host such components given that its a more managed/secure runtime environment.

Comment

Cheers for that. I'll take a look at the website.

The ideal solution would still be a vbscript that can shrink jpeg images and filesize, but I suppose it would be too slow if there was such a thing.

Comment

Cheap as chips hosting - .NET and custom com

www.webhost4life.com/hosting.asp

For bugger all money and I've heard nothing but good reviews...Also includes large(ish) SQL Server 2000 database.

Amazing package for tight fisted M$ developers...

Comment

Working...
                    X