• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless Network

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Network

I have 3 machines at home and would like to connect them together using a wireless network. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need. As far as I am aware I need an access point and some PCI cards. But do I need 3 PCI cards (one per machine) or does the access point sort out the network from the perspective of one of the machines?

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand too. I've bought D-Link kit in the past and had little trouble with it.

Can anyone point me to an 'idiots guide' to wireless networking that may help me.

TIA

well, you need wireless router - access point has to be plugged into it (this is my setup), you will need PCI cards for each PC as well. i must say that wifi is very sweet -- I enjoy being able to roam around the house with my laptop while still being connected tothe network, so here is what you need:

WiFi router - avoid 54mbig G type - access point (netgear) cost me £120 and for this price you can get decent router,

PCI WiFi card for each PC or USB connected client thingy - i have got both and I would not recommend USB unless you have a good reason for it.

Comment

Thanks for that info AtW

Been reading about an AdHoc network using no Access Point. I'm aiming to start this on the cheap. Anyone any experience of such a setup?

Would it work with 'el cheapo' 11MB wireless cards from eBuyer?

Comment

wifi

Geffa

you can use ad-hoc without an access point between two machines - I have never tried between more than that.

an access point is in effect a bridge between the wireless network and your cabled network as well as being a hub for the wireless. will typically have an rj45 and a usb connector.

a wireless router is an access point and router combined.

If you run linux there is some code that will allow any pc with a wireless card to act as an access point - not used it myself but supposed to be good

75% of wireless cards are based on the same chipset (prism) so even the real cheapies should be OK.

the standards are 802.11b - 11mbs
        802.11a - 22 mbs (not compatible with b, although many products implement a and b)
        802.11g - 55 mbs BUT lots of stuff floating about that doesnt work (they all tried to jump the gun before the standard wasset) and speed drops to 11 if a single b card is present.

11b cards are cheap.

for desktops you either put a pci card in that holds the pcmcia card or buy a usb device (better range because the card isnt under your desk blocked in by metal boxes, and the aerials are usually better)

I have heard that dlink recently changed to another chipset and some people have had problems.

I run an access point (connected into a switch - also connects to my isdn router) and laptops with 11b cards. works fine. my only issue is that my router wont propogate dns servers over dhcp so I have to hard code the dns server entries on my machines, not sure if the access point will do that for me

Comment

Re: wifi

it should be possible to ad hoc network among more than 2 nodes, in fact it is certainly possible, jsut the question whether windows supports more than 2 nodes (I think XP does). linux rocks in this respect- check out site: locustworld.com/index.php

check some laptop card prices: www.expansys.com/d_wireless.asp

protocol wise I would not go for anything apart from 802.11b (11mbs - effective less than 5mbs)

Comment

I do just the ad-hoc thing but with only two machines.

Problems I get - if you have a 2GHz TV sender on it screws up the WiFi - possibly if a neighbour did it might too - certainly they carry far enough for you to watch whatever TV station they do.

This house has 2 foot thick stone walls and the signal won't go through them - ok upstairs to room below through the floor but won't work in the kitchen where the signal has to go through one of the thick internal walls.

Don't forget to turn on encryption or your neighbours get free access to your entire network.

Comment

All this talk about acess points is b*ll*cks. Just sticka PCI card in each PC and use peer to peer networking. I've been doing this with Proxim Symphony for about 5 years, with modem and printer sharing as well.

Comment

no its not bollox - my access point connects to router and it allows me to access internet via wifi without having to run PC with PCI card at all times. With broadband you need a router anyway, so router with build in WiFi makes sense, especially as it gives you chance to share internet access with your neighbours to cover price of broadband

Comment

my local exchange is going ADSL (from 29 Aug it says) and I may well be getting a wireless router but before I do can somebody confirm that simple old ICS won't work with ADSL connections (if they know why not too I'd find it interesting)

Comment

get non-USB ADSL modem/router - Ethernet. ICS should work just fine, cant see reason why not, but then again I use cable not ADSL.

Comment

Working...
                    X