• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless Network

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wifi

Internet connectivity via the ADSL service can be routed over ICS - there are no unusual issues whatsoever in this context.

Wifi network cards provide exactly the same connectivity as any other NIC.

Comment

So - given I currently use only 2 wi-fi adaptors ad-hoc networking and ICS to share the current dialup link -

I could just get a USB ADSL modem and share that the same way (£50 ish)

What benefit would a wireless router + ethernet modem bring (£100 + £50) ? I know they usually do nice firewall stuff but currenty I use the XP built in firewall for dummies. I could use one of the multitude of freebie software firewalls if any of them are better but the probes at www.grc.com give me a clean bill of health already. I don't intend to run a server on the connection.

Comment

benefits of dedicated routers are:
        1) no need to keep your main ICS PC running
        2) better configurability - these devices were created for that purpose
        3) AFAIK ad-hoc networking is only good for few PCs - some people who do meshes would probably disagree, to be honest I don't know details since I just gone "routers" approach which works nicely and not that expensive.

Comment

Thanks - nothing new to me there - I was wondering if there was anything concrete to justify the extra £100 (other than an additional box to prat around with and curse over)

I use my laptop as my main web browsing machine and usb is far handier than ethernet for that so I'd be tempted to get a usb modem - do any routers that you know of accept a usb modem should I decide later on a router or is usb a dead-end move?

Comment

Or rather not curse over - I've had a cheap 4 port ADSL router (£47) running for over a year without a single problem as far as it is concerned.

Other equipment, costing thousands of pounds - now thats another matter - but this £47 beauty just sits there - working. Best £50 I ever spent (if you include the consumed electricity since then).

Of course it's not WiFi, but I'm making a point about routers in general. If your PC goes belly up (which is more likely) the other kit on your network will be unaffected.

PCs consume a lot more power too.

My only problem is that next week I have to move - and the place I have chosen doesnt have ADSL :rolleyes

Comment

yeah that has to be said that routers are either ADSL or proper Ethernet - think there are combos but they are well expensive, crap innit!

Comment

I've decide to buy one anyway - should get it Friday. I'll just use it as a wireless access point and buy an ADSL modem nearer the great day when the exchange is upgraded (29 August no doubt slipping to January)

Comment

yeah that has to be said that routers are either ADSL or proper Ethernet - think there are combos but they are well expensive, crap innit!
                  Sorry I should have elucidated - my £47 router is also a four port Ethernet switch - so can easily support a good sized LAN as long as you restrict internet access.

It will also support the new 2mb business ADSL links.

I think they're a bit more expensive now - at about £75, but still extremely good value for money.

Comment

Working...
                  X