• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard Disk Recovery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i love you

Byut I still can't figure out what I'm supposed to. At least you sent me to something that at least looks like my damn harddrive.

What a way to win a girl over. Your site is officially bookmarked for future use although I am American. International shipping does not seem too logical.

So now I can identify what the jumper positions is, but I don't understand how to change it. All I see are four pins. Am I supposed to do something to the pins?

Comment

just kidding

I just need to scour the remains of my laptop for a jumper or make a trip to radio shack

but thank you so much. you've been divinely helpful.

and 16 quid is a lot more then the $7 I paid for my adapter especially when you tack international shipping onto it -_~ But such great advice and help is deserving of paying more.

Comment

Re: just kidding

Ahhh - well they're not so easily found here! Plus most of that is shipping anyway. In fact its only £5.20 odd before tax & delivery charges.

You don't know how lucky you are living where you do - we get ripped off left/right & centre here (not by me, of course by the tax man etc) :lol

Comment

I Love You Too

But what do you mean by

Your site is officially bookmarked for future use
          ?

Doesn't the link in my sig work properly for you?

Comment

yes

It works just fine. And is bookmarked for quick references in my 'afraid is being a bitch again' folder. Afraid being my computer.

So my lappy harddrive still doesn't work in my desktop. I have used the adapter to try and get the thing working in every combination. The DHD (desktop hard drive) as master and the LHD as slave, both on cable select...I even tried putting the LHD on a second cable taking off my CDRW and DVD. I even tried putting just my LHD on the harddrive cable with the DHD not cnnected at all. No matter how I plug the damn thing into the system, always get 'reboot or inesert boot device into boot drive'. WTF?

Could this be a compatibility problem with my motherboard? Could it be the adapter? Do I need a boot disk in one of my drives in addition to connecting the LHD?

Comment

Re: yes

Ahhh have you remembered to go into your BIOS settings to ensure that the drive is visible?

Try just plugging in that drive only, then start your PC and look at the bios settings for hard drives. You might need to make it search for it.

Comment

this issue makes me want to die

Okay. Lappy still doesn't work in the desktop.

I have looked at setup, and no matter what I do, I cannot get the IDE config to recognize that the laptop harddrive even exists. As soon as I plug it in, it ceases to recognize any IDE device on that cable. It must know its there to not detect the desktop drive it was just detecting a moment ago, but it says "not detected" for both primary IDE Master and primary IDE slave.

What do I do? Could it be my converter?

Is there a psossibility that my lappy drive is juts not compatible with the motherboard of my desktop?

Comment

Re: this issue makes me want to die

Unlikely. Of course the laptop drive could be faulty!

Why not nip it down to a local PC repair store and ask them to see if they can get it going.

Take off the jumper.

Connect the adapter to the laptop drive

Connect the adapter to the primary ide controller via the standard ide cable. Remove any other drive on the primary IDE cable.

Remove the secondary ide cable (and therefore any other drives)

Start the PC and enter the BIOS

Ask the bios to search for new hard drives

If the drive is functioning it will then show up in the drives list.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the drive will boot - it will merely show that the circuitry is working correctly - but if the drive is bootable,

However, you can then save the bios settings and reboot. The PC should start up. But it might mess up the settings on that hard drive for laptop use, as Windows will try to detect all the hardware on that PC.

Comment

Working...
                  X