• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop - i5 / 256Gb SSd / 8Gb RAM / FHD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop - i5 / 256Gb SSd / 8Gb RAM / FHD

Black Friday come early for some. I've been looking for a while and this seems like a bargain for general home use.

Code HP250 for £50 discount

https://www.ebuyer.com/805720-hp-250...utm_term=47868

Usually the weakest aspect is the display at that price. Being a bog std TN LCD rather than AMOLED or IPS it will be wishy washy with a poor viewing angle.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-...s-display.html

I recently bought the HP 250 G5 (i5 6200u) which has a 1080p display but I didn't know much about displays and didn't know it was a TN display. Despite it being FHD, the display is terrible and so hard to use. The colours are ridiculously painful and the words are so blurry. It doesn't even look 1080p.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 11 November 2017, 15:18.

Comment

I concur. Bought a Lenovo Thinkpad X300 many years ago (at the time was one of the lightest/thinnest laptops around, so compromised) and while it is still usable I haven't bothered with it for years as the screen is so poor.

The screen is one of the things that can't be upgraded, unlike ram or hard drive, so check it's good enough to not be lumbered with.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        I concur. Bought a Lenovo Thinkpad X300 many years ago (at the time was one of the lightest/thinnest laptops around, so compromised) and while it is still usable I haven't bothered with it for years as the screen is so poor.

The screen is one of the things that can't be upgraded, unlike ram or hard drive, so check it's good enough to not be lumbered with.
        Aye. Most important aspects of a laptop are reliability and screen to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Aye. Most important aspects of a laptop are reliability and screen to me.
          Which is what I’m finding as mrs eek has tasked me with finding 2 reasonable but low price laptops for family friends.

I know the budget and know the requirements so I suspect I will be subsidizing them unless dell outlet comes up trumps
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Just got one of these

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...64470-pdt.html

for the youngest daughter (first year in high school means computer for xmas!)

it is similar to the one I got for eldest daughter 2 years ago.

Seems pretty decent as a general computer.....

What do you lot think?

Comment

Keep an eye out for any potential Black Friday deals in the run up to next Friday (24th). Dell/Amazon outlets may have some bargain laptops amongst other places.

So worth holding out for a week if can't find anything quite suitable for the price point before then.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

apparently curry's have their black friday prices available today....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Just got one of these

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...64470-pdt.html

for the youngest daughter (first year in high school means computer for xmas!)

it is similar to the one I got for eldest daughter 2 years ago.

Seems pretty decent as a general computer.....

What do you lot think?
                  Not Full HD but maybe that's not an important point for you.

The one I ordered was only £20 more and has double the SSD size and RAM and a full HD screen.

There are always negative reviews about anything but given the price I paid I can't complain. Main thing for me was having decent SSD and RAM and a FHD display.

Comment

Reseller I worked at in permieland sold a lot of those - we had a lot of returns too. Dell seem far more reliable.

Comment

Working...
                    X