• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unable to see printer on network

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to see printer on network

Hi,

I have a DHCP router with a server, 3 Windows 10 PCs, a Windows 7 PC and an HP network printer attached.

I can't set up the network printer on my box, nor can I ping it. Up until last week it was working perfectly.

All of the other boxes can ping and print to the network printer except my personal Windows 10 box. Checked subnets and IP configs. All looks good. Standard 255.255.255.0/192.168.0.n settings.

I can ping the other PCs on the network, ping the router and get out onto the Internet I just can't see the printer.

I've done a couple of network cold starts, still the same.

Any ideas what else I can check?

Cheers
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Reboot the printer?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      Hi,

I have a DHCP router with a server, 3 Windows 10 PCs, a Windows 7 PC and an HP network printer attached.

I can't set up the network printer on my box, nor can I ping it. Up until last week it was working perfectly.

All of the other boxes can ping and print to the network printer except my personal Windows 10 box. Checked subnets and IP configs. All looks good. Standard 255.255.255.0/192.168.0.n settings.

I can ping the other PCs on the network, ping the router and get out onto the Internet I just can't see the printer.

I've done a couple of network cold starts, still the same.

Any ideas what else I can check?

Cheers
      Probably not relevant as your other PC's can see the printer. But I had to install the full-suite of HP software to be able to print - really wanted to avoid this because it's crap software. I think I originally just installed the driver.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Reboot the printer?
        Thanks but done that a couple of times or three.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Probably not relevant as your other PC's can see the printer. But I had to install the full-suite of HP software to be able to print - really wanted to avoid this because it's crap software. I think I originally just installed the driver.

Hope it helps.
          Thanks. I thought about this. I don't have the original disks and HP Support say use the default Windows driver. What confused me is that I couldn't even ping the printer from the command line. I thought maybe there was a stray redirect or something that might be affecting it.

Comment

Had some issues on my Win10 PC (but not my Win10 laptop) seeing my printer. I deleted, rebooted, and re-added it. Seemed to do the trick. Right PITA when you're in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              Thanks. I thought about this. I don't have the original disks and HP Support say use the default Windows driver. What confused me is that I couldn't even ping the printer from the command line. I thought maybe there was a stray redirect or something that might be affecting it.
              I don't suppose you could connect your pc to the printer with a usb cable, just to see if there is some non network related issue?

You can download the software from their website, usually. I just installed the software I thought I required from their installation disk, but ended up doing the everything.

Comment

Gateway?

Comment

Is it wireless? Can you try Direct WiFi connection instead of network to make sure it's not something fundamental the the printer?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I don't suppose you could connect your pc to the printer with a usb cable, just to see if there is some non network related issue?

You can download the software from their website, usually. I just installed the software I thought I required from their installation disk, but ended up doing the everything.
                    Their website doesn't recognise my printer model, name or serial number. It's a few years old but that's pants really. I'm currently searching through the HP forums.

Just found "HP has stopped providing support for it.". Grrrr.

Comment

Working...
                    X