• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USB charging desk/cabinet/thingy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Seems to me a neat solution would be to change a standard dual socket mains wall outlet to one that has USB charger sockets integrated, many are available now. Then take a small cabinet and stand it in front of the socket(s) with USB charging leads inside the cabinet.
    Whilst it sounds a neat solution. I'm looking for something that I can buy and not mess about with. Perhaps, something where someone else has thought about partitioning devices/wires etc. Would also be cool if it looked decent.

The lockers solution is ok but they don't look that great, it gives me some search ideas but it's not something I'm going to put in my office. I'm guessing there isnt a need for this in other peoples houses, I guess I'm the only charging monkey here responsible for the house hold wires and charging devices.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I guess I'm the only charging monkey here responsible for the house hold wires and charging devices.
      Sounds like it.
      I just make sure there are chargers in several rooms so that my wife isn't unplugging ones that are in the office to put in the kitchen etc.
      I also try to make sure that we need a minimal number of chargers.
      1. All phones/tablets use the same USB cable.
      2. Kindles use the same USB cable as the headphones, backup batteries and safaristick.
      3. 4 of the cameras use the same download cable which also works to charge dog collars (currently doing so) and torches.

Other devices/batteries have their own chargers which plug directly into the mains.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Sounds like it.
        I just make sure there are chargers in several rooms so that my wife isn't unplugging ones that are in the office to put in the kitchen etc.
        2. Kindles use the same USB cable as the headphones, backup batteries and safaristick.
        3. 4 of the cameras use the same download cable which also works to charge dog collars (currently doing so) and torches.

Other devices/batteries have their own chargers which plug directly into the mains.
        Hah you put my charging/wire management to shame. Still, think if there is a market for small charging stations then a bigger cabinet system or something would be available.

Comment

I think what you are really after is a really good hug...

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Sounds like it.

Unfortunately my phone needs a USB-C cable so while I have USB-B and USB-A cables everywhere, I had to buy more USB-C cables and adaptors for my fecking phone.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I think what you are really after is a really good hug...

You know me so well.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Unfortunately my phone needs a USB-C cable so while I have USB-B and USB-A cables everywhere, I had to buy more USB-C cables and adaptors for my fecking phone.
                Yep, so three phones each with a different charger. So not practical to have in each room.

Then I have batteries for the lawn mower which are quite big so I usually charge them in the kitchen, which gets me into trouble.

Have 3 charger packs, seems some usb cables we have charge them well others don't. Bit random and as the wires get moved around the house its a pain.

Have two different charges for the fitbits.

Tend to charge kindle, ipod touch etc off my pc, so cables just hanging off it.

Toothbrushes are charged in the bedroom and it gets moved around the upstairs.

Tablet has a weird connector, currently that is being charged in the living room, had to uplug another charger to do that.

I just want to kit out a cool looking locker/cabinet with all the wires I need and just let anyone slot in their device.

Then I want a great big bloody hug.
                Last edited by woohoo; 31 October 2017, 12:17.

Comment

How many devices charge off mains and how many off USB?

What size is the largest device?
                  What length is the shortest cable?

For all the USB ones, go for one of the little cabinets I mentioned yesterday, then buy one of these:
                  https://www.amazon.co.uk/POAO-Family.../dp/B01F4Q5A0Y
                  (or similar)
                  And have all your USB charging done from 1 unit.

Then you need to work on the non-USB charging, which I would just get a 6 gang strip and plug them all in, then run the cables through to a shelf/drawer.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Got an old CD cabinet/rack lying about ? I know you don't want to make anything, but perhaps it could be adapted.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      Got an old CD cabinet/rack lying about ? I know you don't want to make anything, but perhaps it could be adapted.
                      I think I'm going to wait until the world catches up with my great idea, then buy it. I thank you all for your good ideas and if I was a handy man with time I could make my cabinet but I'm not.

Comment

Working...
                      X