• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home networking/wireless/router clean up solutions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home networking/wireless/router clean up solutions

So... Geeks, nerds and cockwombles.. Your help is required.

So current set up is.. BTInfinity and HomeHub5. Runs in to a 8 port Cisco switch to distribute to the house. Using the Meraki AP instead of the HH5 wireless. Couple of HH's as AP's in different rooms.

Kodi has become the go to in the house so just for peace of mind I think I'd like to get the whole network on something like IPVanish and tidy up the amount of kit and improve the wifi range to boot.

So I'm thinking of a DD WRT router with nice big aerials, 8 ports and can put the IPVanish/other service on. It would be nice if I could get rid of the HH5 to reduce clutter but not sure that's possible.

Anyone else got a good setup to achieve what I'm after or can recommend something? Is it even worth doing? i.e. forget the VPN option and just leave it as it is as no one piece of kit will do all that?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Have a look at https://vpn-router.co.uk/ - if you feel confident enough to share your IPVanish password with them they will set it all up for you on the router and you're sorted.

One possible downside is that if you stream internet radio at all, and the connection isn't configured properly, you will get geoblocked - I was all ready to listen to the grand prix on R5 one week, cars were lined up on the grid, lights went out and the coverage stopped because of geoblocking
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Have a look at https://vpn-router.co.uk/ - if you feel confident enough to share your IPVanish password with them they will set it all up for you on the router and you're sorted.

One possible downside is that if you stream internet radio at all, and the connection isn't configured properly, you will get geoblocked - I was all ready to listen to the grand prix on R5 one week, cars were lined up on the grid, lights went out and the coverage stopped because of geoblocking
      That's an odd service. So they just flash the router for you? I'd have to look at the prices. It doesn't seen overly complex to do so wouldn't want to be paying much extra on top of the router for it.

Doesn't seem to be any 8 port ones though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

They know how to charge. £290 for a router that is £126 on Amazon just picked the first one that I saw..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think the Asus RT-AC88 seems to tick the boxes. Bit pricey but if it's an improvement and tidy's my cupboard up could be worth a punt.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/asu...router/review/

Just need to check IPVanish or VPN situation I think.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            So... Geeks, nerds and cockwombles.. Your help is required.

So current set up is.. BTInfinity and HomeHub5. Runs in to a 8 port Cisco switch to distribute to the house. Using the Meraki AP instead of the HH5 wireless. Couple of HH's as AP's in different rooms.

Kodi has become the go to in the house so just for peace of mind I think I'd like to get the whole network on something like IPVanish and tidy up the amount of kit and improve the wifi range to boot.

So I'm thinking of a DD WRT router with nice big aerials, 8 ports and can put the IPVanish/other service on. It would be nice if I could get rid of the HH5 to reduce clutter but not sure that's possible.

Anyone else got a good setup to achieve what I'm after or can recommend something? Is it even worth doing? i.e. forget the VPN option and just leave it as it is as no one piece of kit will do all that?
            What's the magic word? :

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
              What's the magic word? :
              **** off?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I think the Asus RT-AC88 seems to tick the boxes. Bit pricey but if it's an improvement and tidy's my cupboard up could be worth a punt.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/asu...router/review/

Just need to check IPVanish or VPN situation I think.
                ASUS? This is like when Daewoo decided to make cars as well as microwaves.

If you're going to buy a router, stop being tight and buy a router produced by a manufacturer that actually know how to make routers as instead of graphics cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mag View Post
                  ASUS? This is like when Daewoo decided to make cars as well as microwaves.

If you're going to buy a router, stop being tight and buy a router produced by a manufacturer that actually know how to make routers as instead of graphics cards.
                  Useful thanks. Care to actually make any recommendations?

Comment

To get rid of the HH5 you’ll need a device with a VDSL modem (assuming you’re FTTC). Cisco ones were very expensive when I last looked 2 years ago (c. £500). I got a draytek for half the price.
                    With hindsight keeping the HH5 would have been fine, just using it as a pass through router.

Can’t help with the VPN side as I’ve never tried client VPNs on a router.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X