• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone installed 12v internal lighting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The transformers are not totally efficient, they waste electricity, some of it ends up as heat.

I'm guessing you are putting some 12v panels on a roof, charging some batteries and using this to power a 12v circuit.

I doubt many people have 12v wiring in their houses.
    Even when people stick 12v panels on the roof, and leisure batteries for storage, they tend to put an inverter in to give them 240v out.

As for the wiring - I wonder how well 12v would transmit along a loop of 240v.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      To save on eleccy bills (although I realise the kit may be much more expensive then standard 240V), and maybe self-sufficient if and when I install a load of solar panels.
      12V bulbs don't use less leecy than 240V ones. Your only potential saving is from powering them from solar panels+battery but then you will need one hell of a battery. Solar panels alone are not going to do much. giving the fact that when there is enough sun light to power them you generally don't need much artificial lighting.

When you factor in the cost of the transformers and etc the ROI is questionable.

I believe they are mostly installed in bathrooms to lower the chance of fatal electrocution in case of a fault.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        +1 for led and led hut

changed all my kitchen ones from GU10 standard to led - they used to go pop every few weeks - had the led's for a year with no problems...
        ^^^^ This. The later generation LEDs are much more reliable and cheaper than they used to be, as well as brighter too. LED Hut are great to deal with, regular discounts, great prices, feee delivery and a real no quibble returns policy. The five year warranty is the icing on the cake. I have bought quite a few LED bulbs from them the last couple of months.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

This looks like an amazing solution to save on lighting cost:

https://www.facebook.com/viralinusa/...6057401087501/

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            This looks like an amazing solution to save on lighting cost:

https://www.facebook.com/viralinusa/...6057401087501/
            They are not that bright when there is no sun..... so ok as an occasional light but when it gets dark at 4pm in the UK does not work as well..

Comment

I suspect in the not so distant future, home energy storage systems will be so cheap that almost everyone with PV solar energy will use them. But they will typically supply 240v AC power beck to appliances via the inverter. I also imagine that Bloggs junior, whose flat has Economy 7 power will also be able to shift his power usage to E7 tariff by using home energy storage too. Charge the storage during the night, use it during the day. I anticipate within a couple of years, this will in fact be common place for homes with an E7 power tariff.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                The good news is that putting up 12V lights doesn't need the help of an electrician. Unless you're completely incompetent.
                I'm fine fitting a light bulb, provided I have someone to help. I hold the bulb, and they turn me round several times.

Yes, seriously, the 12V LED bulbs with built-in transformers sound like what I need for now, provided they aren't too bulky and heavy.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'm fine fitting a light bulb, provided I have someone to help. I hold the bulb, and they turn me round several times.

Yes, seriously, the 12V LED bulbs with built-in transformers sound like what I need for now, provided they aren't too bulky and heavy.
                  And buzz. I wouldn't be bothering.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No - you want 240V LED bulbs, then you don’t need transformers which are inefficient and mean that a 12V LED + Transformer will be less efficient than a 240V LED.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                      12V bulbs don't use less leecy than 240V ones. ...
                      HUH?!

How can that be? I was told they use so little electricity you could practically leave them on all the time without worrying about your electricity bill.

I mean that's the whole point of going with 12V bulbs surely (besides the not electrocuting yourself in the bathroom thing).

edit: Or is it that LED bulbs use vastly less than conventional bulbs (e.g. filaments & fluorescent) but there isn't much difference in eleccy usage between LEDs at 12V and LEDs at 240V ?
                      Last edited by OwlHoot; 9 October 2017, 16:23.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X