• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Video streaming websites, kodi etc.. risks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video streaming websites, kodi etc.. risks?

So found out this weekend the youngest has been watching the premier football on the streaming websites and has been using similar ones to watch films. I used to torrent stuff a lot but have stopped in the last years with the move against the torrent sites, kodi and the like. With Netflix and the like around there isn't much need to now anyway. I'm well aware of these sites but kept away from them what with the questionable quality and the like.

So what's the situation with these types of sites. Looking around they are obviously streaming illegal content so nervous about the implications. All the Kodi type sites just advise a product like IPVanish and then continue business as usual.

Is it really that simple and what are the risks of using/not using something like this? What do the more technically minded types on here do?

If IPVanish is that easy then do people use Kodi via chromecast or something to get it on the TV without a box?

Side point. Tried the Plex that's been discussed on here a bit but both my NAS and TV are too old to accept the bleeding App now. Both are working perfectly or what I need them otherwise so don't think I'll bother updating just to use this. Shame though.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Youngest streaming the football. We believe you
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Youngest streaming the football. We believe you
      Hmm good point. Maybe I should beat it out of him and make him watch the rugby instead.

Comment

I don't think that watching an illegal stream is illegal, streaming it definitely is illegal.

A viewer can't know that the streamer doesn't have the rights to the content, for all you know it's free to watch because it's paid for by ads on the web page or whatever.

To a similar extend, downloading movies from torrents is not illegal on itself, legitimate reasons fro doing so are if you own the DVD, but you don't have the knowledge/ability to rip it so you can watch the movie on a mobile device.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          I don't think that watching an illegal stream is illegal, streaming it definitely is illegal.

A viewer can't know that the streamer doesn't have the rights to the content, for all you know it's free to watch because it's paid for by ads on the web page or whatever.

To a similar extend, downloading movies from torrents is not illegal on itself, legitimate reasons fro doing so are if you own the DVD, but you don't have the knowledge/ability to rip it so you can watch the movie on a mobile device.
          With the clamp down on torrent sites, kodi boxes and stories of these copywrite trolls popping up i don't feel the need to push it anymore. I'll look in to the legal aspects of watching it a bit more. If a 5-10 quid a month subscription totally removes the risk then that's the way I'd rather go.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            With the clamp down on torrent sites, kodi boxes and stories of these copywrite trolls popping up i don't feel the need to push it anymore. I'll look in to the legal aspects of watching it a bit more. If a 5-10 quid a month subscription totally removes the risk then that's the way I'd rather go.
            If it's EPL it's Sky and 70 quid a month!

Comment

My brothers have been streaming the footy for years - their broadband suppliers have never batted an eye lid - think they have been with sky for years as well....

also used a lot of torrent sites such as pirate bay when it was around.

Not sure what they use now but they do not pay for it

same with pretty much all the music they have.

Comment

The clamp down on streaming sites is mainly being done in the UK by ISPs during the times an EPL game is being shown
                However a vpn gets around this.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  If it's EPL it's Sky and 70 quid a month!
                  Not a chance.

Comment

Middlesbrough TV shop owner admits Kodi set top box charges (From The Northern Echo) may be of interest. It seems selling a device that runs Kodi may be illegal...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X