• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet extension...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet extension...

I should know the answer to this but thought I'd ask before I jump in, try what I think and break what's working already.....

I stay in a separate studio building at the bottom of the main house garden here in Dublin, very nice the the existing internet from main house is extended into the studio basically via homeplugs. It goes;

UPC (Virgin) TV/cable modem/Router/WiFi -> ethernet/wireless TL-PA211 200mbps homeplug ----> power spur to studio ---> ethernet/wireless TL-WPA281 200mbps homeplug ----> My Laptop and iMac...

This means there are three wifi access points, the UPC box for house, the two homeplugs one in house one in studio, both a bit flakey at distance...

From UK I've brought two of my Solwise 1200mbps piggyback homeplugs and my 3tb Gen1 A1254 Apple Time Capsule/router.

So, I think I should do this, pair the two Solwise plugs, replace the existing two with these two, in the studio wire the Time Capsule to the ethernet on the Homeplug, set up as access point only, no routing, no NAT, no DHCP etc, just wifi, let the UPC do all that and I should be G-2-G?

So replace the home plugs - yep that seems sensible

Use the time machine as an access point in the studio wired into a home plug - yep seems fine

Virgin router does DHCP and routing - fine except its a virgin router....

I would say your g2g
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Have you tried plugging your laptop/iMac to the Ethernet on the TL-WPA281 in the studio rather than the WiFi and see if it's acceptable? If it is, you only have to bring the TimeCapsule for better WiFi with you and keep the TP-link powerline backhaul

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        Have you tried plugging your laptop/iMac to the Ethernet on the TL-WPA281 in the studio rather than the WiFi and see if it's acceptable? If it is, you only have to bring the TimeCapsule for better WiFi with you and keep the TP-link powerline backhaul
        I considered this but...

1. The existing homeplugs are very fussy, and only seem to work in the studio in the most inaccessible socket...

2. The existing homeplugs are flakey too in general - was hoping the newer Solwise ones I brought from home would be more reliable and a bit faster.

3. I've left my Lappy ethernet adapter at home, iMac is too big to move.

Makes sense though, I'll change stuff one bit at a time but my main beef with the current setup is the TP plugs only working in one socket in the worst place, and the fact they drop out a lot and just become pointless wifi access points.

Comment

The wiring in the studio may be causing the flakiness so your set may not fare any better.

Plug yours in too and see if they talk to one another without interfering with the existing set, or work with the existing set to give more access points in the studio. You may need to encrypt them to isolate if they are all compatible and you want to ensure yours are talking only to each other for the better service.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Hmm that was almost too easy!

Three fold increase in speed, home plug fine in best positioned socket - sweet!!

Comment

Working...
            X