• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC wont power up - flashing DRAM LED light

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Ah yes but DRAM_LED is not lit continuously.

DIMMs worked previously and new DIMM doesnt work.
    New DIMM is fsked, or you haven't put it in properly, or it doesn't meet spec., or you have a dodgy motherboard.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

3. Removed CMOS battery to reset - Same.
      Have you tested/replaced the cmos battery?

Comment

It's the motherboard. Replace it by buying a second hand one from a guy with crap feedback on EBay, rather than wasting hard earned dough on a new one.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

The first thing I'd check is the RAM using MemTest86+

First, go find MemTest86+ from the interwebs and put it on a disc. Then, unplug your machine from the wall and remove one stick of RAM. You might need to look at your motherboards manual because I think the single stick needs to be moved from the second position to the first (closest to the processor) but I could be wrong... just double-check this. When you have your single stick of RAM in place, power your machine back on and boot from the disc. This will load the memory test. The memory test will, as the name suggests, test your memory using a series of pre-defined tests in hopes of exposing errors. It'll run indefinitely so you can stop it at any time, but I prefer to run it for 12 hours just to ensure that it had plenty of time to run - one pass could return errors and the next might not. After a lengthy period of testing note how many errors (if any) were found by writing it on a post-it note. Then, power down and unplug your machine. Remove the stick you just tested and stick the post-it note to the side; replace it with the other stick you didn't test. Re-run test. If you're getting memory errors then that could be the reason of your BSODs and it might explain why your DRAM light is flashing. Not sure, though.*

If you are able to boot into Windows open up your Event Viewer (by typing 'Event Viewer' in the Run box or going through Administrative Tools in the Control Panel). When you have the event viewer open, expand your 'Windows Logs' on the left and select 'System'. Then, create a filter for the current log and say you want to see only 'Critical' events. Press Ok and let us know what you see.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

mr google is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              New DIMM is fsked, or you haven't put it in properly, or it doesn't meet spec., or you have a dodgy motherboard.
              Hmm. Chances of new one being screwed and all old ones? Minimal. Im thinking dodgy mobo/cpu.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                Have you tested/replaced the cmos battery?
                No. But flat/crap cmos battery aint gonna do this.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  The first thing I'd check is the RAM using MemTest86+

First, go find MemTest86+ from the interwebs and put it on a disc. Then, unplug your machine from the wall and remove one stick of RAM. You might need to look at your motherboards manual because I think the single stick needs to be moved from the second position to the first (closest to the processor) but I could be wrong... just double-check this. When you have your single stick of RAM in place, power your machine back on and boot from the disc. This will load the memory test. The memory test will, as the name suggests, test your memory using a series of pre-defined tests in hopes of exposing errors. It'll run indefinitely so you can stop it at any time, but I prefer to run it for 12 hours just to ensure that it had plenty of time to run - one pass could return errors and the next might not. After a lengthy period of testing note how many errors (if any) were found by writing it on a post-it note. Then, power down and unplug your machine. Remove the stick you just tested and stick the post-it note to the side; replace it with the other stick you didn't test. Re-run test. If you're getting memory errors then that could be the reason of your BSODs and it might explain why your DRAM light is flashing. Not sure, though.*

If you are able to boot into Windows open up your Event Viewer (by typing 'Event Viewer' in the Run box or going through Administrative Tools in the Control Panel). When you have the event viewer open, expand your 'Windows Logs' on the left and select 'System'. Then, create a filter for the current log and say you want to see only 'Critical' events. Press Ok and let us know what you see.
                  Well - it must be xmas. A helpful post from nluk.

Trouble is as I've said, I cant even get it to POST with ANY combination of DIMM....

No BSOD.

Comment

Hmm. Chances of new one being screwed and all old ones? Minimal. Im thinking dodgy mobo/cpu.
                    I definitely think the problem is something do to with being DIMM.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well - it must be xmas. A helpful post from nluk.

Trouble is as I've said, I cant even get it to POST with ANY combination of DIMM....

No BSOD.
                      4 main reasons for not getting past POST - CPU, MB, RAM, PSU. Check your mobo manual if it has a facility (even a simple LED blink sequence) that would indicate at which part of the POST it fails. If it doesn't have any you need to start from the easiest to the hardest to rule out. Before you begin remove all unnecessary PCIe cards just in case:

RAM - just remove all the DIMMs and only install 1 (or the minimum amount needed according to your mobo manual also follow it in regards to which slot to install it there are often rules on that). cycle all of the DIMMs 1 by 1 until you find a working one, if none works, they are most likely not the source of your problem so move on.

PSU - You said that you already tried another PSU, I guess you used one with equal or higher power output and confirmed working, not some dusty old crap laying in the attic.

CPU - You can try to re-seat it and replace the thermal compound, but this is unlikely to rule it out, the only sure way to rule it out is to borrow a compatible CPU from another system yours, or a friends.

MB - visually inspect all of the capacitors for any sing of bulges on the top and/or leaks. This is the most often fault of MBs especially 3+ y.o. and used with low quality PSU. If all of them look OK, you should (and by the OP already did) reset the BIOS by either reseating the battery or pressing the dedicated button/short pins. If there is no improvement as with the CPU you have to look to temporary swap it with another.

If you don't have the capability to execute some of the above and it still fails - bring it to a PC repair shop for diagnosis.

If you fail to bring it up after all of the above steps, it's likely that more than one component or the whole system is fried. Best course of action is to buy new one, then try the old parts 1 by 1 on a working system to see which ones are working and either sell them on e-bay or give them away. I wouldn't try to use components that where part of a system suffered multiple components failure for a new system.

Comment

Working...
                      X