• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monitor went pop... what to get?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor went pop... what to get?

When I was starting freelancing in 2007 I bought a pair of Samsung SyncMaster 940N monitors and entered the giddy world of multi-monitor working. Even back then they weren't amazing, 21" 1280x1024, VGA input only, but they have been my trusty companions ever since.

Until the other day one of them made a short fizz/phut noise and turned off. Every time I turn it on, it comes on then does the same after a second or less. I checked the cables were properly seated and that the cables itself are good with another monitor. So it looks like it is probably dead.

Where are we at these days in terms of replacements? I don't need it for gaming or watching video as I've other screens for that, I think I would prefer multi-monitor with 2 new screens. Is HDMI now the de facto standard?
    Love to hear what you've bought and recommend - and if there is any good place with a guide to relevant technologies I should read up on first.

Ta.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Personally, I've used Dell monitors for ages now. I find the quality, value and performance to be very good. I'm not a gamester so I don't worry about refresh rates and all that esoteric stuff. My most recent acquisition was one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B1QTZ...986871_TE_item

I'm very happy with it. It has DVI, HDMI, Displayport (?) connections. Basically, works with anything.

EDIT: oh, and it's big :-)

Comment

ASUS do good ones too and cheap<ish>

Comment

Ilyama have been recommended to me, many times. No direct experience but having looked at a few for a future purchase they do seem well specced for the price

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Personally, I've used Dell monitors for ages now. I find the quality, value and performance to be very good. I'm not a gamester so I don't worry about refresh rates and all that esoteric stuff. My most recent acquisition was one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B1QTZ...986871_TE_item

I'm very happy with it. It has DVI, HDMI, Displayport (?) connections. Basically, works with anything.

EDIT: oh, and it's big :-)
          Already replaced by a newer model! (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-UltraSh.../dp/B01CFTU5GW)

Are widescreen monitors now all there is out there... I'm not sure two wide-screen monitors side by side would be ideal? Otherwise it looks pretty great, maybe at 27" a single monitor is enough.

Comment

Frankly if you spend all day on them I would go and find as good as you can find. Cheap monitors bloody well hurt.

I bought a pair of the thunderbolt apple jobbies in 2011 never looked back. When they finally go pop I will go for a large Samsung curved screen bigger the better.

SAMSUNG C34F791 Quad HD 34" Curved LED Monitor - Silver Deals | PC World

Comment

I've never found them uncomfortable except if they are overly bright or too small, or fuzzy, or the font size is stupidly small. I like my monitors running reasonably dim.

Still reckon dual monitors is better - or do these higher end behemoths allow you to split them with two inputs anyway? I do a lot of RDP work (Mac Mini, Parallels) so find one physical monitor for MacOS and a 2nd for RDP is perfect.

Comment

If you're considering one big screen rather than a dual setup, check it has picture in picture and split screen capabilities so can view two or more sources at once.

I had various dual screen setups in various orientations but don't need multiple screens all the time so ended up with one switched off more often than not, then having to faff about with Windows desktop so I could see thing's I'd opened on the second monitor that was turned off.

So when one of my Dell 24 inchers broke I replaced my dual setup with one 40" 4k monitor. Info of that is on another thread in Technical. Still using it but often only have one or two things open so it does seem a bit overkill. Wouldn't go back to dual screens though as it's just so flexible having one massive desktop, with the ability to split the screen to view other inputs when required. Besides it only cost about 500 quid if I remember right, so not much more than a decent Dell or other 'normal' monitor.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Cheers... a big monitor with dual inputs seems a good compromise if the weird screen ratios don't lead to issues? Not sure if PIP would be useful to me, never used it.

Comment

Most of the Dell displays are good (Dell is No.1 in volume of displays shipped), they have very well designed stands and controls. As for size and resolution it depends on your requirements/budget. Personally I prefer IPS over TN because of the viewing angles, but they are generally more expensive. Currently using Dell P2715Q 4k very pleased with it.

Odd setups with single large display and PIP or dual-input are more cumbersome to use and some applications don't like them, not to mention often more expensive than simple dual display setup.

If you are short on desk space you can pivot one of them in portrait mode, which actually is better for a lot of tasks.

Comment

Working...
                    X