• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monitor went pop... what to get?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm not sure two wide-screen monitors side by side would be ideal?
    This probably depends on your workflow. I have the big one directly in front of me, and another one (a lower spec) sat to the left. I tend to move windows that I'm not actively working on but need to refer to, to the left, so I can glance and see them. But I do find it cumbersome to angle my body to the left to "work" on the 2nd screen. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      If you are short on desk space you can pivot one of them in portrait mode, which actually is better for a lot of tasks.
      I have done this at one point when I wanted one monitor more for documents. Quite liked it though I reckon 2 4:3 monitors is optimum for dual-monitor.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have done this at one point when I wanted one monitor more for documents. Quite liked it though I reckon 2 4:3 monitors is optimum for dual-monitor.
        Unfortunately since the demand for 4:3 PC/TV displays is negligible, I don't believe there are many quality offerings out there

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Ilyama have been recommended to me, many times. No direct experience but having looked at a few for a future purchase they do seem well specced for the price
          That's what I've used for a long time - one of the few that had the right size, height adjustment, tilting, connections to my laptop (HDMI plus 2 displayport connections) and budget constraints.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

There's still a few 16:10 monitors around. Much better for actual work than 16:9.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Always been very happy with Iiyama monitors. Might be worth seeing whose LED panels they use and work from there. You may get a no brand monitor using a good quality LED panel that is better than a big name monitor with a lesser panel?
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Monitor went pop... what to get?

Years ago (>20 ) I used to sell Iiyama monitors for CAD systems, they were very good.

If you're interested in an old monitor that still has plenty of life in it, I have a Samsung T240HD (24")that I'm going to put on eBay soon. It's 10 years old, but hasn't been switched on much in the last 7 years (probably less than an hour a month). It plus my old Dell desktop have been replaced by a company 27" unit.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Sounds like it was a pretty good bit of kit back in the day from the review I read. Yeah, maybe though I've zero idea what 2nd hand monitors go for. PM if you want?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Loving my 34 inch Dell. No need to have two any more. Cost about £450 inc. VAT a year ago - can probably be had for a bit less now.

Comment

Rather than replacing, you could see if it can be repaired cheaply. Depends if there's anyone near you offering to fix electrical gear that could diagnose the problem and fix it cost effectively.

My faulty Dell 24" is still in the loft in case I one day get round to seeing if it can be fixed. It has the fancy portrait/landscape swivel stand which is probably worth as much as the panel these days. Shame Dell have bespoked the attachment mechanism to some extent, so need an adaptor for it to work with other VESA compliant monitors.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X