• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for sugestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for sugestions

I have a requirement to configure 25 windows 2012 remote desktop sessions identically ready for users to connect and start using them.

The type of config that is needed is things like browsing to a site and downloading an activx control, disabling popup blockers, configuring default printers, adjusting printer properties, adding sites to the compatability mode list and some java configuration.

Basically, a lot of per user changes. No software installs just configuration of what is already there - but twenty five times.

Im looking for advice on ways that this can be automated, If it was all IE/windows changes Id be looking to use power shell but I'm thinking that some kind of mouse/keystroke record/playback might be better.

Its a one off requirement so ideally we are looking for something that we can get to grips with quickly.

Any thoughts ?

Has this actually got anything to do with Remote Desktop? It sounds to me like you need to create 25 windows profiles for the users to connect into....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Has this actually got anything to do with Remote Desktop? It sounds to me like you need to create 25 windows profiles for the users to connect into....
      Hmm, good point, it's not necessarily an RDC question, in my scenario all of the users will be on the same machine using RDC but your right it's not necessarily relevant.

Comment

Does the 25 have to be identical?

If yes then it will have to be via group policy

If not, I am not sure if it's possible, unless you have an individual reg file that is imported each time the user logs on
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You can put the 25 into an OU and apply a group policy. Or, assign a logon script that does the configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Does the 25 have to be identical?

If yes then it will have to be via group policy

If not, I am not sure if it's possible, unless you have an individual reg file that is imported each time the user logs on
            Hi, yes they all have to be identical, however I don't think that half of these settings will be set via GP.. for example java config..

I was thinking of something along the lines of recording keystrokes/mouse clicks on one machine and playing them back on the other 24...

Realistically this kind of thing isn't my job (I bet it shows!) I'm just trying to get my test environment up and running quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
              Hi, yes they all have to be identical, however I don't think that half of these settings will be set via GP.. for example java config..

I was thinking of something along the lines of recording keystrokes/mouse clicks on one machine and playing them back on the other 24...

Realistically this kind of thing isn't my job (I bet it shows!) I'm just trying to get my test environment up and running quickly.
              If you want to do the exact same thing on multiple machines you want something like Selenium, or it can easily be done with VM's and something like VirtualBox for free, set up one machine and clone it 24 times (you will need to check if changing SSID's are still an issue, searching google for sysprep will help)
              Last edited by SimonMac; 11 September 2017, 12:03.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

There are multiple ways to accomplish this, depending on the exact setup you have.

From your vague explanation it' looks like you will have 1 RDP host with 25 users connecting to it. The main question is there AD or not? If not or the users are not expected to use their everyday AD accounts to connect you can just setup 1 user then clone the profile to the other 24 users, any settings not in the profile are host based and will be the same for all users.

If AD joined and users needs to use their everyday accounts, it becomes trickier as it have the potential to mess up their profiles across. A combination of GPO+Desired state configuration ca do wonders but both are not really first timer friendly.

If you are not married to the whole RDP host sessions (specially since you mentioned java and it can really mess up your day in this scenario), it becomes even easier with 25 VMs - build+setup 1 then clone it.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  There are multiple ways to accomplish this, depending on the exact setup you have.

From your vague explanation it' looks like you will have 1 RDP host with 25 users connecting to it. The main question is there AD or not? If not or the users are not expected to use their everyday AD accounts to connect you can just setup 1 user then clone the profile to the other 24 users, any settings not in the profile are host based and will be the same for all users.

If AD joined and users needs to use their everyday accounts, it becomes trickier as it have the potential to mess up their profiles across. A combination of GPO+Desired state configuration ca do wonders but both are not really first timer friendly.

If you are not married to the whole RDP host sessions (specially since you mentioned java and it can really mess up your day in this scenario), it becomes even easier with 25 VMs - build+setup 1 then clone it.
                  We already have the RDP host built and paid for (that was in place before I joined the project) so we are stuck with that set up.

Sounds like what i need to do is set one up and clone its profile - Ill go and have a dig on how to do that (Like I said, this isnt my day job! )

Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Working...
                  X