• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website Google Search Results

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website Google Search Results

So I have a website and domain registered, which I want to start promoting more earnestly now. If I search for the site on Google it doesn't appear in the search results. Only if I enter the url will it then appear although rather defeating the object...

I have been reading around this and the solution seems to be to submit my url via the Google 'url submitting page'. Is this all I really need to do ? Has anyone tried this ?

For info my website is designed and hosted through Jimdo - will this work with the above solution ?

In the old days your put a site map up. And got some links somewhere to it and wait for Google to crawl your content didn't you? This is heavily crawled to link to it with some good relevant anchor text here.

Have you tried searching the term site:{your domain} to see how many pages it's got and that the meta data is ok for starters?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 22 August 2017, 22:09.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, I have entered the site:domain, and the pages are listing.

Comment

Try finding an obscure 3 word phrase on a page and use those as the keywords to search. It should come up in the first page of the search.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If it was simple, everyone would have the #1 website!

Somethings you can do, make sure you use keywords properly, make sure you have content that updates regularly, make sure you have something that is worth looking for, but most of it is just luck at times.

In the old days you can stick in a load of backlinks from other sites but they seem to be clamping down on that, or weighting them less from other non highly rankings sites.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            If it was simple, everyone would have the #1 website!

Somethings you can do, make sure you use keywords properly, make sure you have content that updates regularly, make sure you have something that is worth looking for, but most of it is just luck at times.

In the old days you can stick in a load of backlinks from other sites but they seem to be clamping down on that, or weighting them less from other non highly rankings sites.
            Also helps if the backlinks come from other related type of sites, well it used. I was in the bike business so getting links back from the bigger forums\media sites seemed to work - well it used to.
            There was also an old trick of putting at the bottom of the page in white on white loads of keywords, but this got clamped down on as well I think.

Having something unique works, I remember a magazine article giving Elete water (an electrolyte) a great review, I wasn't aware of this but the phone had been ringing non stop, and I didn't know why until I asked someone who had rung, they told me we were top of the Google results

But mainly it's luck I think.

Comment

First place to start is Google's own webmaster tools. Things will have moved on now, but I did manage to get a website I used to admin up to the number two spot on Google, only beaten to first place by the website that had the "mymainkeyword".com domain name. Back links became less important due to all the link farms that were getting used. I imagine that links pointing your way from a highly regarded website closely associated with you would help. It helped me to ensure the HTML passed the on line tests on various places for not having errors and being standards compliant. IIRC, too many keywords deliberately placed on your pages will also hurt your rankings. I periodically submitted it to Google for listing too for a while until my ratings improved. One thing though, if you have main stream competition out there, you're going to struggle. For example - If you want to be top five or ten in Google for "Chemical Engineer" or "Project Manager". I think you are sunk before you even start.

I must have been something right. I just tried my key word and the website is not even on the first five pages of Google now, despite still being pretty active still.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

From my experimentation, title tags are important - get your keywords into your title if you can. The title is also what will appear in search results, so keep it relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  From my experimentation, title tags are important - get your keywords into your title if you can. The title is also what will appear in search results, so keep it relevant.
                  Yes, that too. But not too obviously spammy, or it will be a negative in terms of Google ratings.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                  X