• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Large spotlight bulbs - what size/type are they?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks a good site, thanks.

The issue I seem to be having is that LEDs mostly come in warm (2700K) or cool (5000/6000K). The latter just doesn't suit my older property except in the kitchen, but 2700 is really yellow compared to the halogens the previous owner had mostly fitted - which I think are more like 3000K. There's a noticeable difference and I think 3000 is the sweet spot, but harder to find.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Looks a good site, thanks.

The issue I seem to be having is that LEDs mostly come in warm (2700K) or cool (5000/6000K). The latter just doesn't suit my older property except in the kitchen, but 2700 is really yellow compared to the halogens the previous owner had mostly fitted - which I think are more like 3000K. There's a noticeable difference and I think 3000 is the sweet spot, but harder to find.
      Yeah had the same. Ordered the cool white thinking it would look good in our modern refurb but it was just too white. Made everything look clinical and took the colour out of everything. Warm was also different but we've got used to it now.

Another thing I had a couple of false starts with which you might want to check is the angle of the beam. They vary quite a bit with GU10's. Much wider than the halogens. I thought this would be a good thing but again it wasn't. It just didn't look right and washed everything out again so went with something closer to a spot so you got the cool shadow higher on the walls. Depends where the LED element is in the bulb. Where the halogen was or flush with the glass.

Not sure if there are different options with the ones you are buying but check it out before you take the plunge.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I didn't think when we had the bathroom done and we've ended up with very clinical cool white (almost blue) light. It's let down what is otherwise a very nice refurbishment...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

For the big spots, I seem to have good ones - very happy with them.

And without realising there was a minefield, our GU10s for the kitchen turned out well even though we bought from two different people and mixed them up.

Candle bulbs for chandeliers are what I'm looking into now, there's not such a wide selection as I would've expected. And so many of the bulbs have the bottom half as ugly white plastic rather than the whole bulb being glass. Ugh.

Comment

I don't think you are cut out for LEDs

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I don't think you are cut out for LEDs
              Says you after sharing all your own cock-ups?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Says you after sharing all your own cock-ups?
                I like to call them learning experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  ...No problems with the initial purchase and they've honoured the lifetime agreement replacing 3 that have failed without quibble...
                  I wouldn't have expected LED bulbs to fail with quibble tbh NLUK, have you spoken to your accountant about them ?

Boo2

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    I wouldn't have expected LED bulbs to fail with quibble tbh NLUK, have you spoken to your accountant about them ?

Boo2
                    Stuff breaks. It happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X