• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seagate disk - fooked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seagate disk - fooked

Never able to get this to work after. Managed to get some of the data off it but now it doesnt even get recognised. Seems to spin up ok but thats it.

Tried the freezer trick - load of crap.

Any other ideas?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

There is the option that there are no more options and it's time to bin it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I assume this is an internal disk rather than a USB one? I presume you've tried swapping over the power and SATA cables and/or removing the drive from it's enclosure if it's a USB one.

If you're REALLY desperate I have had some success swapping over the drive electronics in the past. Not sure if you can still do that but it will void the warranty of both drives.

I think your best bet is to restore from backup. You do have a backup right?
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

The question is does it have critical data that you need on it? If not - bin it, any amount of effort to revive it is not worth the £50ish for a new drive and even if you manage to revive it it will be just be borrowed time, you can no longer trust it, making it useless.

If there is critical data on it - what b0redom said

Comment

You do have backups? I suspect we know the answer to that question.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Put the drive in a bowl of rice. The rice will attract Chinese people, who can fix it for you.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              I assume this is an internal disk rather than a USB one? I presume you've tried swapping over the power and SATA cables and/or removing the drive from it's enclosure if it's a USB one.

If you're REALLY desperate I have had some success swapping over the drive electronics in the past. Not sure if you can still do that but it will void the warranty of both drives.

I think your best bet is to restore from backup. You do have a backup right?
              Its an internal disk. Stuck it in usb disk caddy now.

Backup. Most of it just not a large encryprted file.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Its an internal disk. Stuck it in usb disk caddy now.

Backup. Most of it just not a large encryprted file.
                If you pay me 300 bitcoins, I can probably sort out the large encrypted file
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  If you pay me 300 bitcoins, I can probably sort out the large encrypted file
                  Knowing Psychocandy, he'll be running Windows 3.1 and it'll be his swap file.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    You do have backups? I suspect we know the answer to that question.
                    What's that word for when you do stuff at work all day you can't be bothered had home. Builders houses always half finished, IT guys kit in a mess, changing backup tapes all day and don't back up at home etc.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X