• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seagate disk - fooked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try the freezer trick again, leave it it for about a week until it's frozen solid. Might work. If not, and if click of death, move on.

Just FYI, not because I'm smug, I use SSDs in my machines, BackBlaze, Drop Box, Google Drive and a local NAS. I'm sure if something crashes, there'll still be something I forgot to back up :-(

Comment

SSD's fail too. I have one that simply stopped. Whilst it was booting Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What's that word for when you do stuff at work all day you can't be bothered had home. Builders houses always half finished, IT guys kit in a mess, changing backup tapes all day and don't back up at home etc.
        It's certainly not "Fit as a Butchers Dog".

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
          SSD's fail too. I have one that simply stopped. Whilst it was booting Windows.
          When I shifted to SSDs I made sure my backup solution was robust, since when an SSD goes it's a lot more difficult to get the data off. I had one fail recently, and the recovery from backup worked fine. I use Cobian.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            What's that word for when you do stuff at work all day you can't be bothered had home. Builders houses always half finished, IT guys kit in a mess, changing backup tapes all day and don't back up at home etc.
            Originally posted by Lost It View Post
            It's certainly not "Fit as a Butchers Dog".
            The phrase I know for this is "The cobbler's children are always the worst-shod"

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Never able to get this to work after. Managed to get some of the data off it but now it doesnt even get recognised. Seems to spin up ok but thats it.

Tried the freezer trick - load of crap.

Any other ideas?
              Are you expecting much different advice from when you posted about your broken PC in April on how to recover data from your hard drive?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Tried the freezer trick - load of crap.

Any other ideas?
                Have you tried the liquid helium trick?

Seriously, I feel your pain. I nearly totaled ten terabytes of my data when I tried moving my NAS half an inch to the left while it was in the middle of a write and the perishing power cable popped out of the back!!

I thought modern disks had an automatic harmless head retract in the event of sudden power loss, but not these effing things. Two were trashed, but mercifully the NAS was using a non-zero RAID level which just allowed me to recover all the data after replacing those disks.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                  The phrase I know for this is "The cobbler's children are always the worst-shod"
                  or perhaps "The busman can't be arsed to go on holiday" phenomenon
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Another vote for Cobian - superb free software and backs up open PST files too which has stuffed me up on occasions before. I like the facility to do rolling backups as well.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Have you tried the liquid helium trick?

Seriously, I feel your pain. I nearly totaled ten terabytes of my data when I tried moving my NAS half an inch to the left while it was in the middle of a write and the perishing power cable popped out of the back!!

I thought modern disks had an automatic harmless head retract in the event of sudden power loss, but not these effing things. Two were trashed, but mercifully the NAS was using a non-zero RAID level which just allowed me to recover all the data after replacing those disks.
                      Liquid Helium? I guess to mega freeze it?

Can you even buy that tulip?
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X