• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FTTP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTTP

I was having 900Mb fibre broadband installed today. Only it wasn't. Turns out "t' box is in wrong place" and that means they not only need to dig up my garden they need to go through a bit of my neighbour's garden too, and for that they need his permission. He wasn't in. I have a form to ask him to sign, but as it amounts to "I give you permission to do whatever you want to my property" I'm a little reluctant to even ask.

Of course in reality I'm not going to notice any difference having 900Mb over the 55Mb I got with FTTC at my old place. But I can't get that here. It's 8Mb, or 900Mb, or Virgin which I've heard too many bad things about.

Always seemed to me that FTTP was prohibitively expensive for these sorts of reasons, and that the often maligned FTTC is actually a pretty good intelligent solution to give fast enough broadband with out having to disturb the nation's garden gnomes.

Typing this with the aid of a 3G dongle what I've just gone and bought. Grrrr.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

I can't comment on your situation, but can say you were right in avoiding Virgin.

Comment

Originally posted by Inv View Post
      I can't comment on your situation, but can say you were right in avoiding Virgin.
      Compared to Talk Talk and the companies they took over Virgin is a dream....

Then again it's depends on where you live.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In the building my flat is in we can't get FTTC. The exchange has fibre and all the other buildings on the street, either side of us can get fibre, but our building is connected to a box that Openreach have decided is not going to get fibre. The only option appears to be for the flat owners to club together to pay BT to upgrade the cabinet. So that's not going to happen.

I used hyperoptic in London and they were brilliant. Came and installed the kit for free - was only on their 30 day rolling contract for 100mb link, but it worked perfectly and had no complaints.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Is it worth "bribing" your neighbour offering to share the over the top 900MBps with him free of charge?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I was having 900Mb fibre broadband installed today. Only it wasn't. Turns out "t' box is in wrong place" and that means they not only need to dig up my garden they need to go through a bit of my neighbour's garden too, and for that they need his permission. He wasn't in. I have a form to ask him to sign, but as it amounts to "I give you permission to do whatever you want to my property" I'm a little reluctant to even ask.

If you are on reasonable terms with the neighbour, maybe see if he wants to get in on the FTTP deal at same time so they only dig up the place once, and you both get top notch fibre at maybe a reduced overall cost if they charge separately/additionally for the digging/additional work.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

whss +1

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                Is it worth "bribing" your neighbour offering to share the over the top 900MBps with him free of charge?
                Just moved in so don't know them, and they're a retired couple so probably ultra fibre optic is not that important to them.

And yes it's TalkTalk. Worse than Virgin you say? Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Just moved in so don't know them, and they're a retired couple so probably ultra fibre optic is not that important to them.

And yes it's TalkTalk. Worse than Virgin you say? Hmmm.
                  Not had to threaten Virgin with legal action over:
                  1. Randomly helping themselves to money in my bank account when a direct debit was cancelled, and,
                  2. Refusing to let me cancel an account once out of contract, and,
                  3. Trying to charge me after refusing to collect their unusable and out of date crappy equipment.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well that's quite fast.

I had to setup the desktop and plug it direct into the router to do the test. My laptop only does 300, and the USB to wired ethernet adapter I have is slower than the WiFi.

Comment

Working...
                    X