• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Soundbar, soundbar+sub, or full surround sound?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full surround sound, or a Yamaha YSP

Comment

I'm not sure I've ever experienced a proper surround system outside the cinema. Can it actually do better spatial effects than a pair of headphones, or is in music, are decent pair of headphones what all these expensive systems are trying to emulate?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think it makes a ton of difference. The woofer gives great bass and the surround sound does make it more immerse. We love ours. We watch TV with it on all the time now. The TV speakers alone sound crap now.

I'll definitely have a dabble with 7.1 next time I need to invest in some kit but the Samsung we've got is fine.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          ...I'll definitely have a dabble with 7.1 next time I need to invest in some kit but the Samsung we've got is fine.

PAH, you need 10.2

Surround Sound, surrounded by speakers.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Depends on your budget really. I've been really quite impressed with my Denon AVR-2300 paired with a set of Cambridge audio minx speakers - very small and unobtrusive, but produce a great sound when they're paired with the matched sub. In a room like you're talking about you could run d-line trunking around the skirting boards to hide the cables too. That's what I've done in my lounge - stops kids tripping/falling over them.

https://www.richersounds.com/product...o-avrx2300-blk <- amp

https://www.richersounds.com/product...camb-min22-wht <- speaker

https://www.richersounds.com/product...-minx-x200-blk <- sub

The amp also does spotify and some 'smart' stuff too. I added also added a wired FireTV so the whole thing can do Amazon, Netflix, Plex, iPlayer etc.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Sonos playbar and a couple of Play:1 speakers for the rear, then decide if you need a sub
              Oh you _NEED_ the sub

Comment

you might as well go the whole hog especially if you are in a position to cable.

Subwoofer & speakers is much better than a soundbar in my experience.

Try the helicopter scene in Apocalypse now or the pyramid in Stargate. Honestly the fuller sound and positioning is worth it.

its £250 -> £1000 (bottom end) against £80 -> £500.

I have a £500 Panasonic blu-ray one which had great ratings. It was on reduced and it was a choice between a £150 Blu ray player and a £250 surround sound I didn't regret it.

Also you want your home TV room to wow its decadent luxury not just a room with a TV!
                Speakers will sell the experience.

Go to richer sounds or others with a listening room and ask to hear the difference. That is free.

Try Harmony hub + remote , alexa or phone control. if you want one remote and simple scenes.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  ...Subwoofer & speakers is much better than a soundbar in my experience.

....Try the helicopter scene in Apocalypse now or the pyramid in Stargate. Honestly the fuller sound and positioning is worth it.

....Go to richer sounds or others with a listening room and ask to hear the difference. That is free.
                  This.

I use both the helicopter scene in Apocalypse Now and the Morpheus rescue sequence in The Matrix to test/setup a new surround sound system.
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

Don't forget to play this to test how good your Subwoofer is.... If the house doesn't shake when it kicks in get a bigger one

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                      This.

I use both the helicopter scene in Apocalypse Now and the Morpheus rescue sequence in The Matrix to test/setup a new surround sound system.
                      I used to use the introduction to Tomorrow Never Dies with the jet taking off etc.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X