• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Soundbar, soundbar+sub, or full surround sound?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soundbar, soundbar+sub, or full surround sound?

We've set up our smallest bedroom (15'x11') as a dedicated TV/cinema room with a single 2 seater sofa, opposite the TV central on the long wall.

We got a 43" LG 4K HDR TV on offer for ~£330 which gives you an idea of our budget - decent low-end - and are happy with the picture quality and screen size. Next we want some additional sound hardware.

On our workhorse downstairs TV (an old 42" HD ready plasma from 2009) we have a fairly generic low-middle-end soundbar which cost £200 in 2014. That actually seems fairly pricey now compared to LG 2.1 systems for £140 so we're unclear if we should move that to our new TV, or get something new... and if so for the size of room if we want a simple soundbar, a 2.1 system, or something more fancy.

Any thoughts? We're not big movie buffs, this is more for Netflix so we don't want deafening sound to shake the house.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I'd go fancy. It's not a lot more to get a decent kit and when you do you can dumb it down in the settings if it's a bit loud at times. I believe in Netflix some films give the option of 2.1 or 5.1 so you have a choice. If you buy the base system that choice is not available.

Sound bars give surround sound by bouncing it off the walls so not ideal. I'd say do it properly.

My other half turned her nose up at all the kit and wires I bought and even though she's not a sound aficionado but now she wouldn't be without it now.

You can remove the subwoofer or dumb it down in the settings but I think decent surround system makes a big difference even at low volume.

Maybe have a look at something like this?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4369187
    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 July 2017, 11:48.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Depends if both TVs will be in use at times and if so how often, so don't want one impinging too much on the other. Decent sound quality wireless headphones may be a good option in that situation, particularly if late at night.

You said you don't want house shaking bass so a decent surround sound with subwoofer will not comply with that if you want it to sound its best.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Wireless headphones require the TV to support that (right?) which is one of the features ours doesn't have. It does support bluetooth for external sound systems but apparently only other LG kit - some proprietary bastardised bluetooth I assume?

Which is one pointer towards getting LG equipment although plugging the main unit into the TV isn't a huge deal and with HDMI ARC, integration should still work well; I really would rater not have to dick about with multiple remotes which is what our old pre-ARC TV necessitates. It seems the subs are quite often wireless these days, not a big issue but slightly nicer to avoid trailing wires everywhere.

Our room is in one way perfect for surround as we have the other TV for watching TV with mates and can set this room up just for two people in the perfect spot. If only one of us was watching, probably we'd turn the sub off/down if the other was in the house, or even just use wired headphones (or figure out a way to do wireless).

Comment

The wireless headphone set up I have is via the optical sound output from my LG Plasma (it has LG Sound Sync but not got the right kit for that, and no dedicated headphone output socket) into a cheap DAC (£30 from Maplin IIRC) that the wireless headphone base station plugs into using a normal 3.5mm headphone jack so nothing fancy required.

I do have to change the TV sound output from speaker to external speaker (digital PCM) whenever I want to listen via the headphones or vice versa, which is a bit of a pain on the lazy scale.

A soundbar may well have a headphone socket so can use wired or wireless as an additional option.
          Last edited by Hobosapien; 11 July 2017, 12:47.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Sonos playbar and a couple of Play:1 speakers for the rear, then decide if you need a sub
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              The wireless headphone set up I have is via the optical sound output from my LG Plasma (it has LG Sound Sync but not got the right kit for that, and no dedicated headphone output socket) into a cheap DAC (£30 from Maplin IIRC) that the wireless headphone base station plugs into using a normal 3.5mm headphone jack so nothing fancy required.

I do have to change the TV sound output from speaker to external speaker (digital PCM) whenever I want to listen via the headphones or vice versa, which is a bit of a pain on the lazy scale.

A soundbar may well have a headphone socket so can use wired or wireless as an additional option.
              Is that a bluetooth DAC or something different/proprietary? I'm not aware what standards are used for wireless audio though I'm sure it predates bluetooth... on the other hand wireless headphones that didn't at least support bluetooth would seem silly. I suppose the potential advantage of a non-BT setup is you can have multiple headphones whereas BT is 1:1 (I think)?

LG Sound Sync is what we have though I haven't looked into what kit you can get on that platform.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Sonos playbar and a couple of Play:1 speakers for the rear, then decide if you need a sub
              I had considered Sonos but is it actually the best tool for the job? The bar itself costs as much as a decent surround sound system so I assume we're getting towards a grand for that setup... since we don't plan to use this room for music that seems massive overkill!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Is that a bluetooth DAC or something different/proprietary? I'm not aware what standards are used for wireless audio though I'm sure it predates bluetooth... on the other hand wireless headphones that didn't at least support bluetooth would seem silly. I suppose the potential advantage of a non-BT setup is you can have multiple headphones whereas BT is 1:1 (I think)?

No it's all low tech, regular optical digital input to analogue DAC. The only wireless bit is between the headphone base station (that doubles as a charging dock) and the headphones themselves. Uses FM apparently for the wireless bit, so the neighbours can tune in to my TV/Movie soundtrack on their radio if they so wish.

The more high fidelity wireless headphones probably do the digital decoding on the headphone side and use bluetooth or alternative/proprietary method for sending the signal.

Comment

Ah, so they're a set of generic wireless headphones... I hadn't realised that even existed other than headphones with a radio built in for listening to the radio on the train.

Bluetooth is so ubiquitous now that searching "wireless headphones" on Amazon, that's all I seem to get. Is there a special term for the other kind like yours? Or are they basically obsolete these days?

I have seen a 3.5mm -> BT converter which works both ways so I could in theory have two... plug one into my TV and my trusty headphones into the other. But it seems a bit daft!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Bluetooth is so ubiquitous now that searching "wireless headphones" on Amazon, that's all I seem to get. Is there a special term for the other kind like yours? Or are they basically obsolete these days?
                    UHF or RF seems to be the term used, though the digital alternatives probably give better sound quality. Mine are Sennheiser ones and on Amazon there are a few other makes at various price points.

The bluetooth ones are commonly used for connecting to a smartphone while out and about so for home versions look for those that have a docking station that does the communication bit from the TV (some have digital inputs so no need for separate DAC) and also charges up the headphones when docked so not in use.

Comment

Working...
                    X