Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 17

Should post faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Good router (BTHH replacement)

As the 2.4 GHz band of the BTHH seems have given up the ghost I've started looking for a replacement. Has anyone here gone through a similar exercise recently or knows of a killer article about top routers and what to look for?

I'm hoping that asking here will yield more human responses than sea of articles Google returns that are either written by bots or just there to promote a product.

キツネの帽子をかぶる

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Which model HH is it?
    Strong and Stable Moderation

sal

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://amplifi.com/

The future of home WiFi is in Mesh, and this is the Ubiquity answer to that. Making their their enterprise class tech user friendly at soho prices.

TykeLike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    https://amplifi.com/

The future of home WiFi is in Mesh, and this is the Ubiquity answer to that. Making their their enterprise class tech user friendly at soho prices.
    By the looks of that kit, it still uses the BTHH as the "modem" though?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

キツネの帽子をかぶる

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Yes, apart from being a website designed by/for marketing departments, it looks like it's just a variation of powerline networking.

...OK, I've only tried to view the website on an iPad, but there's no substance to it. Click on "Learn More" and you get 2 sentences surrounded by several scrolls of graphics.
    And for that reason, I'm out.

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think there's a problem using the BTHH as your modem - you presumably can turn off it's WiFi ability.

I would be interested in Mesh WiFi but I haven't figured out if it's actually something special? I can say that simply putting my various WiFi repeaters on the same SSID/password is pretty useless... many devices simply don't jump to the strongest one as you move around. Does one need special kit for mesh - is it hardware or software, and is the idea it should be totally transparent to the client devices?

As it is for me, I give all my WiFi transmitters (4 so far) slightly different names and get used to the idea of manually switching SSID if I want to watch Netflix in the bathroom, etc. A minor annoyance.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

sal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Yeah it doesn't have a DSL modem included, didn't realise that this is what went wrong with yours. In which case just contact BT (or your current BB provider) to send you a replacement. Not that many good 3rd party routers+DSL modems out there and using one might give you headache if there is an issue with your broadband and provider support is ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Yes, apart from being a website designed by/for marketing departments, it looks like it's just a variation of powerline networking.

...OK, I've only tried to view the website on an iPad, but there's no substance to it. Click on "Learn More" and you get 2 sentences surrounded by several scrolls of graphics.
    And for that reason, I'm out.
    Agree that the website is a bit over the top and not doing good job at explaining what the product actually is, but it has nothing to do with Powerline, Mesh is a variation of wifi extenders with the hassle of configuration removed here is some info on it:

Mesh Wi-Fi Networks: All you need to know ahead of the Google Wifi UK launch

キツネの帽子をかぶる

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    As it is for me, I give all my WiFi transmitters (4 so far) slightly different names and get used to the idea of manually switching SSID if I want to watch Netflix in the bathroom, etc. A minor annoyance.
    Pretty much the same here - kitchen (Modem Plusnet, soon to be BTSH), lounge (BTHH4), office (BTHH5), attic (BTHH5).
    In fact in the office I also have a BTHH3 with wifi turned off because I needed a couple of extra network points.

I have 2x BTHH3 and a Belkin Router that are going spare, if anyone needs one let me know, free to a good home if you pay the postage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    I would be interested in Mesh WiFi but I haven't figured out if it's actually something special? I can say that simply putting my various WiFi repeaters on the same SSID/password is pretty useless... many devices simply don't jump to the strongest one as you move around. Does one need special kit for mesh - is it hardware or software, and is the idea it should be totally transparent to the client devices?
    "Proper" stuff is mean to do things like kick users off an AP to switch them to another - in reality, it's notoriously naff and only really a small improvement on multiple devices on one SSID. The real advantages are from a management perspective, with some niceties thrown in.

Don't get me wrong, an all out enterprise Wi-Fi solution is going to be better than what you have - but the options for home/SoHo are really only half a step better.

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My BT HH5 is connected to a VDSL modem. Presumably I'd just buy another "cable" router if mine breaks?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast