+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Posts 11 to 17 of 17

Lord of the Vectras

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Draytek router seems to work and you don't have to plug into anything (apart from the BT faceplate and mains obviously).

If it's for (V)DSL just buy one that supports it and ditch the modem.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

キツネの帽子をかぶる

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    My BT HH5 is connected to a VDSL modem. Presumably I'd just buy another "cable" router if mine breaks?
    Yes, and the easiest thing to do is to buy them off eBay. Lots of chumps have been sold the line that BT hubs are useless, so they go out and buy another brand then sell their BT one BNIB on eBay. You'll get a replacement HH5 for < 15 and if you're lucky for as little as a fiver.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Yes, and the easiest thing to do is to buy them off eBay. Lots of chumps have been sold the line that BT hubs are useless, so they go out and buy another brand then sell their BT one BNIB on eBay. You'll get a replacement HH5 for < 15 and if you're lucky for as little as a fiver.
    Thanks for that. I think it is probably worth looking out for one as a spare then. The HH5 has been a good bit of kit to be honest. I've tried Draytek, Netgear, Belkin, Thomson etc.... The HH5 is a good as any IMO.

キツネの帽子をかぶる

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that. I think it is probably worth looking out for one as a spare then. The HH5 has been a good bit of kit to be honest. I've tried Draytek, Netgear, Belkin, Thomson etc.... The HH5 is a good as any IMO.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...e+hub+5&_sop=1

Just noticed one in WIltshire (not sure if it's near you) finishes in 6 hours no bids, 99p, because the seller has gone for "collect only"
    Strong and Stable Moderation

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    "Proper" stuff is mean to do things like kick users off an AP to switch them to another - in reality, it's notoriously naff and only really a small improvement on multiple devices on one SSID. The real advantages are from a management perspective, with some niceties thrown in.

Don't get me wrong, an all out enterprise Wi-Fi solution is going to be better than what you have - but the options for home/SoHo are really only half a step better.
    So you're saying Mesh is a bit of a gimmick and there is no good transparent/seamless way to have a "distributed SSID"?

HH5 is pretty solid in my experience. I got a HH6 which had noticeably better range but they are notoriously unreliable. I had two fail and gave up. In fact I think I started a thread here and was recommended some replacements which had a fibre modem included, for about 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...e+hub+5&_sop=1

Just noticed one in WIltshire (not sure if it's near you) finishes in 6 hours no bids, 99p, because the seller has gone for "collect only"
    Thanks so much for the link. Sadly, I'm 8 hours + on UK time so I missed this overnight, and collection from around 10,000km away might be an issue! Thanks again.

Should post faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Which model HH is it?
    It's a HH4 we have. The 2.4 GHz has gone from nothing to working partly with me changing the settings (we live in a detached house and no new routers in the area).

The new BT Smart Hub might be an option, happy to pay a bit extra if it's more powerful / faster WiFi:
    https://www.productsandservices.bt.c...ucts/smart-hub

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2