• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RealVNC Client/Server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RealVNC Client/Server

Used VNC for ages to connect back to the main system back home, I have always had to connect to my home VPN before being able to use VNC, just noticed now that I don't have to, I think I have upgraded to VNC 6 which is now asking for a user account sign in which I assume is now why I don't need my VPN?

Any security issues with this? I know that it now tells me the connection is encrypted, but as I was going down a VPN before this wasn't an issue for me anyway. What about any other potential issues going forward, am I now reliant on RealVNC staying online for me to be able to connect home?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

What's your home OS? I use RDP over VPN for Windows and SSH/X forwarding for anything UNIX. The only thing I use VNC for is OSX, but I very rarely need to talk to that graphically anyway.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      What's your home OS? I use RDP over VPN for Windows and SSH/X forwarding for anything UNIX. The only thing I use VNC for is OSX, but I very rarely need to talk to that graphically anyway.
      OSX

99/100 I ssh in, just once every now and then I need the GUI
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        OSX

99/100 I ssh in, just once every now and then I need the GUI
        I just forward port 5900 and connect from finder with screen sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Used VNC for ages to connect back to the main system back home, I have always had to connect to my home VPN before being able to use VNC, just noticed now that I don't have to, I think I have upgraded to VNC 6 which is now asking for a user account sign in which I assume is now why I don't need my VPN?

Any security issues with this? I know that it now tells me the connection is encrypted, but as I was going down a VPN before this wasn't an issue for me anyway. What about any other potential issues going forward, am I now reliant on RealVNC staying online for me to be able to connect home?
          It looks like realVNC has introduced, what they call, cloud connection. If both ends of the connection have internet access then the realVNC cloud service can broker a connection between the client and the server...

https://www.realvnc.com/docs/faq/cloud.html#faq-cloud

Comment

Working...
          X