• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Essential Tech?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essential Tech?

Not bought any tech for over 18months, quite fancy getting something, though don't know what I fancy

I have a laptop that is good for another year or two, got iPads, got decent monitors, got a smartphone...

Anything you can't do without?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Not bought any tech for over 18months, quite fancy getting something, though don't know what I fancy

I have a laptop that is good for another year or two, got iPads, got decent monitors, got a smartphone...

I picked up a Logitech MX800 keyboard and mouse when Amazon had 20% off warehouse stock last week. And very nice it was....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Got a Line 6 Variax modelling guitar and Ampli-Fi - load of digitised tulip, I'm proper analogue me I decided.

Comment

Large Monitor > 32" now UHD is out. £200-300

Perfect for lunch a la conference call when you have important stuff to do in the lunch hour. I like to walk around and tidy up while the divisional CIO is boring all 500 of us to tears. I like to really snooze if the VP is talking.

USR/Polycom soundstation £50 (previously enjoyed on ebay) again feet up for conf call and tames the accents nicely you can feed it from the PC.

Adjustable lighting (back lit -> front lit) I have 6 lights on a Set of Siemens (JSJS) switches. 60 watts of LED lighting flood lights my desk like a football stadium.

Alexa Dot - great for music / radio / traffic etc. Unlike DAB it can get a signal in wet paper bag. Feed into an Amp & big speakers your ears will thank you.

Nice clicky Keyboard.

Docking station with the USB3 ones you can get HD grade video & decent ethernet. Just one connection to your laptop, no need to faff about connecting lots of cables if you need to move away.

External HDD / NAS / Cloud for backups

I have a Trust wireless mouse as I have big hands - and you know what that means ladies

Big Gloves!!!

Decent chair!

Nail artist / dentists magnifying LED anglepoise lamp, my eyesight isn't what it was and the writing on components , sims etc is smaller, get the ones at £40 from ebay the steel is thick! Not the one from Maplin mine tore through the hinges in 3 months.

Hot Glue Gun , with this Superglue & epoxy you can fix anything!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Smartwatch. Perhaps a ZeTime. https://www.mykronoz.com/uk/en/
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

or if you are or want to get fit, a GPS sports watch such as the those by TomTom or for more high end Garmin. All cover walking/running but some also cycling and swimming for triathlete/wannabe's.

I got one at the start of trying the Couch to 5k programme and it helped me see the progress over the weeks for motivation it was really working. All sorts of stats to peruse when uploaded into the app that comes with them.

As for IT related tech, I find it all so boring these days. Nothing really innovating in recent years, other than cardboard VR headsets. Last worthwhile items I bought were SSD upgrades and a 40" UHD monitor. Nothing else really sparks my interest so I try to find stuff to get me away from the desk staring at a computer monitor all day.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

iPad holder for the mic stand (no need for sheet music)
              Canon 100-400mm MkII
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post

oculus rift or a htc vive - I have neither but I've spent all my tech money for this quarter on a graphics card.

Comment

Corkscrew
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Smartwatch. Perhaps a ZeTime. https://www.mykronoz.com/uk/en/
                    Brought a smart watch on a whim the other day. Pretty useful on walks as it has a clear stopwatch and pedometer. Various facilities via Bluetooth, unfortunately can't the appropriate app on my ancient smartphone to connect it.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X