• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheapest way to get O365?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£165/yr for Office is pretty much the most expensive way of doing it. Not everyone, or even most people, need everything in the Action Pack - I haven't been a member for several years to know what you get but I still have about 3 large folders full of discs I never used; I think I used Office, Windows and that was about it. For a fledgling business it's an incredible deal but for the typical contractor (of course some of us aren't typical) I'm less certain. Especially now VS Community Edition is so crazy-good.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      £165/yr for Office is pretty much the most expensive way of doing it. Not everyone, or even most people, need everything in the Action Pack - I haven't been a member for several years to know what you get but I still have about 3 large folders full of discs I never used; I think I used Office, Windows and that was about it. For a fledgling business it's an incredible deal but for the typical contractor (of course some of us aren't typical) I'm less certain. Especially now VS Community Edition is so crazy-good.
      You are technically correct this is not the rock bottom, Welsh cheap way to get O365, but it's the cheapest in long term and when you factor in the bigger picture and TOC.

VS Community and any MSDN sub can't be compared as the licenses are for development only and if you use them to host YourCo e-mail or website with them for example you are in breach of the license.

Comment

How is it cheapest in the long run to pay more every year?

If you're hosting websites and developing your own products then great - but for the typical contractor that's not the case. Hence my comment about some of us being atypical. MAPS is a very large product offering and incredibly cheap for what you get, but if you don't use it it's still expensive. A bit like me getting a really great deal on an Audi when I work from home and never drive anywhere.

This whole "I don't need to watch what I spend" attitude is also incredibly bad. It's new money foolishness, not how successful businesses work. Buy the tools you need at the best price, end of. I need Visual Studio for coding, and Word/Excel a few times a month. I don't need a full-blown SqlServer installation, Exchange Server, an Azure cloud 24/7, etc. If you do, great.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          I'll send you a pic of mine :-)
          unless its a double polaroid don't bother

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
          X