• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC wont boot - possible fooked hd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I don't think NLUK wants to fix PC...
    I've been trying for 6 years. I've given up.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I've used Feather Linux before for the same reason.

Currently trying to recover data from a drive for a neighbour. Her 4 year old daughter dropped the laptop on the floor. It hadn't been backed up in ages. It has all the baby photos on it. Won't boot. No partition found. EaseUS Partition Manager couldn't fix it after 12 days. (750GB drive being seen as 2TB)
      Now running CGS Photorec 7.1.
      Time to complete: 382hr 54min.
      You'll be pleased to hear I've got a backup but its just a PITA.

Your story reminds me of when my Mrs did her nursing degree. I made he do a backup of her final project thing. Day before it was due two course mates crying because their usb stick was knackered and they'd lost the last few months work totally.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        You'll be pleased to hear I've got a backup but its just a PITA.

Your story reminds me of when my Mrs did her nursing degree. I made he do a backup of her final project thing. Day before it was due two course mates crying because their usb stick was knackered and they'd lost the last few months work totally.
        Funnily enough, when The Wife (tm) did her masters, the same thing happened - cheap USB, no backup. Early on in project I'd got her to do daily backups and to email me with the critical files.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Buy a new drive and then rebuild an OS image on to that one. Then when that works plug the old drive into a disk caddy and buy some recovery software to get whatever you can find off the broken disk. Never ever try to fix the disk your data is on while its the primary disk in your system...

Comment

Try to boot your pc in safe mode. Press f8 when your pc start.

Comment

Looks like windows won't even recognise it. Even tried mini windows on the hirens cd. It does however appear to be recognised via things like linux mind/knoppix.

I do have a usb drive which is also recognised. So I guess I can copy what I need off the disk. Any suggestions for easiest to use?

Noticed in startup its saying SMART not available for the disk in question. Bummer. I think I will take it and reseat also to see if its that. Or try a different cable. Just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                I've used Feather Linux before for the same reason.

Currently trying to recover data from a drive for a neighbour. Her 4 year old daughter dropped the laptop on the floor. It hadn't been backed up in ages. It has all the baby photos on it. Won't boot. No partition found. EaseUS Partition Manager couldn't fix it after 12 days. (750GB drive being seen as 2TB)
                Now running CGS Photorec 7.1.
                Time to complete: 382hr 54min.
                Try Restorer2000 dot com

Not free, but bloody excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Try Restorer2000 dot com

Not free, but bloody excellent.

Major fail.

This is PC we are talking about, tighter than a nuns chuff
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Major fail.

This is PC we are talking about, tighter than a nuns chuff

With "invaluable" baby pics on it? Oh well. I've made money from this software by doing data recovery.

Another trick that can work is to clone the disk to another known working one, then chkdsk then you might be able to recover some data.

You obviously don't value your time very highly if you're prepared to waste hours to save £30 !!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      With "invaluable" baby pics on it? Oh well. I've made money from this software by doing data recovery.

Another trick that can work is to clone the disk to another known working one, then chkdsk then you might be able to recover some data.

You obviously don't value your time very highly if you're prepared to waste hours to save £30 !!
                      90% was backed up anyway. booting into linux mint has enabled me to recover anything else.

Just PITA having to buy new HD and reinstall windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X