• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart TV's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart TV's

Thinking about getting a smart TV, was wondering about LG, look quite good. I did see complaints of it being slow switching channels but I think that was an older model.

Buy LG 43LH590V Smart 43" LED TV | Free Delivery | Currys
    I'm alright Jack

get the best screen you can and add external smarts.

May be worth getting DNLA on it.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I agree with Vetran. I'm after a new TV as well - I was going to go Samsung.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Other thing to consider is if the TV has wifi or RJ-45 for the networking. If it has wifi, is the signal strong where you're going to put the TV? If it's cable, can you get a network cable to the TV easily?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've got 4 smart samsung tvs (32") in the house, two 2016 models and two 2015. The newer ones are quick to connect and respond.
          All 4 are connected via wifi and work a treat.

I'm after a new one for the lounge and I would prefer to keep with Samsung but the LG ones look quite appealing with the cast feature.

All 4 have ability to take network cable but I've never needed to

Comment

I've used the cast facility on the LG to play YouTube videos or show videos/photos from my iPad.
            They also have an app that allows you to use your tablet as a keyboard/remote control for the TV - great if you are typing in things like website addresses or searching on BBC iPlayer.
            When I looked at the Samsungs a few years ago, their software options only worked with other Samsung devices, it might be worth checking compatibility with your phone/tablet/etc.
            Oh, and check they have optical out for the sound so you can plug in your Sonos Playbar.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Panasonic here for main tvs

1 smartish Plasma (Big lounge), 1 Dumb Plasma (Playroom) & 1 last year smart LCD small lounge all 50"

39" 4K TV/Monitor but I sit 18 inches away + 26" TV/Monitor in Manshack.

26" cheapos in bedrooms & Kitchen.

Almost all have a Fire Stick loaded with KODI and / or VLC

Wifi on the Fire is excellent not so good on the Panasonic TV so have cable for that.

Powerline can be your friend (I rewired so I'm OK).

NAS with Mini DNLA on for movies. I don't have DVDs littered anymore.

Point though is we never use the smart TV features we just use the Fire stick.

Agree with optical out so you can put it into home theatre. Ride of the Valkyrie & long tall Sally has to be played at 1KW!
              Last edited by vetran; 13 April 2017, 11:14.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                get the best screen you can and add external smarts.
                As this is Technical.. One justification I gave myself for getting a new "Smart" TV (other than I wanted one and you couldn't really buy a "dumb" TV) is that I was using it a lot with Netflix and with most external devices you get some judder watching 24p content (i.e. pretty much everything on Netflix). Most external smart devices won't do 24p, which means you end up feeding the TV the wrong frame rate and hoping the TV can sort it out. It's better if the TV just gets the real signal from Netflix and then can do the right thing.

It's a subtle effect that probably most people don't even notice, but once I did I couldn't help but not see it. It's dumb but there it is; otherwise it would make a lot more sense to buy a telly based on the picture quality and leave the smartness to something else.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  As this is Technical.. One justification I gave myself for getting a new "Smart" TV (other than I wanted one and you couldn't really buy a "dumb" TV) is that I was using it a lot with Netflix and with most external devices you get some judder watching 24p content (i.e. pretty much everything on Netflix). Most external smart devices won't do 24p, which means you end up feeding the TV the wrong frame rate and hoping the TV can sort it out. It's better if the TV just gets the real signal from Netflix and then can do the right thing.

It's a subtle effect that probably most people don't even notice, but once I did I couldn't help but not see it. It's dumb but there it is; otherwise it would make a lot more sense to buy a telly based on the picture quality and leave the smartness to something else.
                  not a netflix user but interesting.

Comment

Working...
                  X