• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using VPN to access Netflix in the UK from abroad.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using VPN to access Netflix in the UK from abroad.

Recently I signed up after doing a bit of research in VPN's to a company called NordVPN. It gets rave reviews in the press and they do have some decent offers on subscriptions. I signed up for a two year deal which worked out at about GBP 2.50p a month, a good deal. The software installed fine on Win 10 and I got a connection to a UK based VPN server no problem. My IP address looked as though I was connected to an ISP in Manchester despite me being in Asia. Great stuff, BBC iPlayer worked just fine. So, I tried logging into Netflix with my UK account. Logged in OK but big chunks of content were missing. So I signed out of the VPN and logged back in to Netflix, same result, I was logged in but tons of stuff just not there. It seems like Netflix are smart to the use of NordVPN and their IP addresses in the UK. I trawled the NordVPN website and found a footnote at the bottom of a Blog page that said they only support Netflix streaming fully in the USA and France. Looks like Netflix in the UK is a tougher nut to crack.

So, I mailed NordVPN to cancel the subscription. They have offered a full refund, I'll wait and see if I get my money back. The final thing to comment about is that NordVPN are based in Panama and while this may be very good for your privacy, I am not that happy to think I gave my credit card details to a Panamanian company I actually know little about other than the rave reviews they get on line in the ezines.

Just thought I'd share that..............
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

I use PIA, good reviews etc but yep Netflix have cracked down on vpn use. So if anyone knows a reputable VPN I can use to access Netflix let me know.

Other than that pia are good.

Comment

I also use PIA, but it doesn't fool the National Lottery website from abroad. Well, the weird thing is, it did once, but never before.

@WooHoo, do you use PIA with uTorrent? I do - sort of - not convinced I have it set up correctly though.

Comment

I'm using PureVPN, will test Netflix when i'm abroad on Easter and will report back

Comment

I use ExpressVPN, supposed to fool Netflix but it doesn't. Everything else works, torrent sites, BBC iPlayer, itv, Sky Go....

Comment

I tried Netflix via a TrustZone VPN to Germany (i.e. I was in the UK pretending to be in Germany), and the website worked and showed me all the content for Germany, but nothing would play. They obviously are quite wise to it now having been lax for a few years.

Assuming you have a UK address and internet connection you could VPN into your own router/server. I assume that would work as Netflix wouldn't be blocking your home IP.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              I also use PIA, but it doesn't fool the National Lottery website from abroad. Well, the weird thing is, it did once, but never before.

@WooHoo, do you use PIA with uTorrent? I do - sort of - not convinced I have it set up correctly though.
              I don't use it with uTorrent, and yep when I was in Spain last year couldn't use the NL with PIA.

Comment

One assumes that Netflix noted that you signed up in the UK and will present you UK content from whatever IP you use.

While doing a bit of digging, I found this:
                https://www.blocked.com/

Which at least demonstrates that companies take very active steps to block traffic from VPN.

Comment

Thanks all. Sorry for the late reply. Anyhow, NordVPN were good on their promise and refunded my two year subscription, no questions asked.

PIA looks good but they don't seem interested in facilitating access to "geo locked content" like Netflix. Seems I'm out of luck with this and might have to fall back on Kodi, which I think will work with a VPN quite OK?
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

On a seperate note i used a vpn to watch footy on bt sport whilst in the US.

Comment

Working...
                    X