+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Signing in to BBC website

Can't seem to log in. Yesterday, I was logged in but was getting an error message when trying to look at the programmes I'd saved on iPlayer. So, I followed the FAQ, cleared all the cookies, emptied the cache, etc. Now I can't log in at all.

In Firefox I get "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete." I have followed all the hints and tips on the Mozilla website, still no difference. I even turned off AV and my firewall. I also turned off the setting about telling sites not track me. Still get the same error message. Cookies are all fully enabled, even though I used to be more restrictive with them.

In IE, I just get "Page cannot be displayed". Did all the same shizzle re cookies and cache.

Had a web chat with BBC support and they didn't have a clue, I've been referred to their tech guys who will respond sometime in the next 10 days. They told me to disable HTML5 support, made no difference.

No issues on other websites I frequent. I ran CCleaner and ticked all the boxes to wipe out pretty much everything then restarted.

What's next on the idiot list that can I try?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well after all that faffing about, I spotted that my laptop was set to the wrong time. It said I was in London/Dublin timezone with the appropriate summer time adjustment but it was an hour ahead.

Forced a resync with a different time server and now the BBC will let me log in and pick up where I left off.

As you were, peeps.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Well after all that faffing about, I spotted that my laptop was set to the wrong time. It said I was in London/Dublin timezone with the appropriate summer time adjustment but it was an hour ahead.

Forced a resync with a different time server and now the BBC will let me log in and pick up where I left off.

As you were, peeps.
    Spent a whole evening trying to get my tablet working properly before noticing the wrong time

キツネの帽子をかぶる

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those running iPlayer apps, there was a major issue with a recent release of it which meant the app crashed every time you went to view your download queue. They've released a fix today which allegedly works.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Double Godlike!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Can't seem to log in. Yesterday, I was logged in but was getting an error message when trying to look at the programmes I'd saved on iPlayer. So, I followed the FAQ, cleared all the cookies, emptied the cache, etc. Now I can't log in at all.

In Firefox I get "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete." I have followed all the hints and tips on the Mozilla website, still no difference. I even turned off AV and my firewall. I also turned off the setting about telling sites not track me. Still get the same error message. Cookies are all fully enabled, even though I used to be more restrictive with them.

In IE, I just get "Page cannot be displayed". Did all the same shizzle re cookies and cache.

Had a web chat with BBC support and they didn't have a clue, I've been referred to their tech guys who will respond sometime in the next 10 days. They told me to disable HTML5 support, made no difference.

No issues on other websites I frequent. I ran CCleaner and ticked all the boxes to wipe out pretty much everything then restarted.

What's next on the idiot list that can I try?

TL;DR Standard tech support response...

Try a reboot

Double Godlike!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wrong time/date can cause a lot of problems. Even Windows saying your version is not legit.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

+ Reply to Thread