• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boosting Home Wifi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosting Home Wifi

Fed up of poor wifi coverage

Sky have mentioned a couple of products for boosting coverage
    Has anyone used these or anything else?

Unifi
    Homeplugs

Ta

Buy a small bedsit above a kebab shop. Hell I don't even have to pay for my own wifi it's so damned small.

AND the kebab delivery takes 30 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Unifi
      Homeplugs

Ta
      Two WiFi routers with the same ssid and password, connected over homeplug.
      It's what I use in my house.
      The primary adsl WiFi router has a cable from lan port 1 going into the homeplug, the secondary wifi router (at the other end of the house) has a cable from the second homeplug going into lan port 1 .

Your secondary WiFi router needs to support the feature of acting as a slave (can't remember the technical term).
      I've got a netgear dgn2200 v4 as the slave and a dgn2200 v3 as primary. They're not great routers, but it works.
      Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

I have had good results in a couple of properties from the TP Link WiFi extenders that cost about GBP 20 or so at Amazon at elsewhere. Easy to set up and so far, reliable.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          I have had good results in a couple of properties from the TP Link WiFi extenders that cost about GBP 20 or so at Amazon at elsewhere. Easy to set up and so far, reliable.
          I have TP Link powerline adaptors. Router into one, two others with their own wireless hotspot build in elsewhere. Same SSID, works seamlessly over the whole house. Two routers seems more than needed.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I have TP Link powerline adaptors. Router into one, two others with their own wireless hotspot build in elsewhere. Same SSID, works seamlessly over the whole house. Two routers seems more than needed.
            My issue with that is when it works its brilliant when something goes wrong its a pig to fix.

I just took a risk and bought BT Whole Home Wi-Fi review: Dead spots begone! | Expert Reviews when it first arrived and it just works..

I also suspect that if you signed up for Sky Q their system would fix the problem if you don't mind continually paying for sky...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

4 routers in the house all cabled together. It's quite simple to do, but running RJ45 cable is a lot better than using powerline adaptors.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If you have money to throw at the problem 'mesh wifi' is the next thing.

Mesh is the hottest trend in home Wi-Fi, so we tested every top system to find the best – BGR

Some devices just don't handle the "there is a stronger signal that I can get" decision.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Unifi
                  Homeplugs

Ta
                  The absolute simplest way to boost your home wifi is to get a couple of very good home plugs that have LAN connection and are also wifi range extenders. That means ignoring crap like TP Link and the like.

You need to look at the Develo range. These have through plugs (so you do not lose one of your house plug sockets), have upto 3 LAN connectors and are wifi range extenders.

Sure, you can get cheaper lesser options linke the TP Link rubbish but dont be surprised when they dont do as it says on the tin.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    The absolute simplest way to boost your home wifi is to get a couple of very good home plugs that have LAN connection and are also wifi range extenders. That means ignoring crap like TP Link and the like.

You need to look at the Develo range. These have through plugs (so you do not lose one of your house plug sockets), have upto 3 LAN connectors and are wifi range extenders.

Sure, you can get cheaper lesser options linke the TP Link rubbish but dont be surprised when they dont do as it says on the tin.
                    +1 for Devolo. Just works.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X