• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boosting Home Wifi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Slightly silly but still genuine question... can you install 'conduits' to allow WiFi signal to get through walls and floors it struggles with? I forget what part of the spectrum is involved and how it behaves, whether drilling bits of pipe through your walls would work or not.
    And slightly silly answer from me is that the 'conduit' you're thinking of is called a cable I'm I couldn't resist

Comment

How do you get your WiFi signal down a cable? I'm talking about a passive rather than active system that lets your existing router work better without modification.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
        Fed up of poor wifi coverage]
        Sky have mentioned a couple of products for boosting coverage
        Has anyone used these or anything else?

Unifi
        Homeplugs

Ta
        Havent heard any more from you!

How did you get on?

Better coverage achieved yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jampton View Post
          Havent heard any more from you!

How did you get on?

Better coverage achieved yet?
          I went for a couple of Netgear wi-fi extenders - about £100.
          Simple and seem to work well so far!

Comment

TP Link worked for me

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            The absolute simplest way to boost your home wifi is to get a couple of very good home plugs that have LAN connection and are also wifi range extenders. That means ignoring crap like TP Link and the like.
            You need to look at the Develo range. These have through plugs (so you do not lose one of your house plug sockets), have upto 3 LAN connectors and are wifi range extenders.

Sure, you can get cheaper lesser options linke the TP Link rubbish but dont be surprised when they dont do as it says on the tin.
            I have tried the TP Link option to enable me to work from the patio, about 30 yards from the house. Works just fine for me. Just £15 from a superstore.
            “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Comment

The Hallett house is on three floors and all block and concrete construction. Although the thing is bloody well built it's not wifi friendly.

I've solved this by using homeplugs. These connect to 3x wireless routers. Through trial and error I found that you have to turn off the slave routers' DNS server and change the IP. It also boosted performance when you changed the channels. Mine run on 1,6,11,13.

The result is wifi all around the house and across the gardens.
              https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
                I have tried the TP Link option to enable me to work from the patio, about 30 yards from the house. Works just fine for me. Just £15 from a superstore.
                Yes, cheap as chips and very effective when I have used TP Link WiFi extenders.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                  The Hallett house is on three floors and all block and concrete construction. Although the thing is bloody well built it's not wifi friendly.

I've solved this by using homeplugs. These connect to 3x wireless routers. Through trial and error I found that you have to turn off the slave routers' DNS server and change the IP. It also boosted performance when you changed the channels. Mine run on 1,6,11,13.

Same here but I find that when I move from one wifi 'zone' to another, the phone/tablet has to reconnect to the new 'zone' and that occasionally has to be forced manually.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post

To stop crossover, I hope it's more like 6,13, 1,11 (if you had 4 floors)
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      To stop crossover, I hope it's more like 6,13, 1,11 (if you had 4 floors)
                      Yep. There is a really good Android app called wifi-analyser that profiles signal strength and crossover.
                      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                      X