+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 9 of 9

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Laptop water damage question

So the misses macbook pro was in her handbag when a bottle of water leaked over it.

Did the usual, so let it dry out for a couple of days and started it up, looks good apart from the battery not holding charge but she has used it for a couple of days when its plugged in.

Anyway, she went back to apple for a replacement battery but once they opened it up they could tell water had been inside of the laptop.

They want to replace a whole load of stuff because they can't say what else is damaged.

But if its been working ok (except the battery) is it a case of just making them replace the battery or is it possible that corrosion elsewhere could occur?

I would imagine the warranty is buggered if we forced them to just replace the battery.

sal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's possible for corrosion in other elements to have a delayed effect, whether replacing the battery only will affect future warranty claims - only Apple can tell you.

Don't you have insurance on it? https://uk.protectyourbubble.com/hou...dget-insurance £13/month for 4 gadets - in my case iPhone 6, 6S, MB Air, MS Surface book ~4k value in total it's a no brainer.

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would have thought it more likely that the battery charging circuity is fried.

That may be on one or more circuit boards that do one or more things!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The protect your bubble thing has a small print restriction on it that the max age of a gadget is 12 months. Could be an expensive mistake to find out about after the fact....
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    The protect your bubble thing has a small print restriction on it that the max age of a gadget is 12 months. Could be an expensive mistake to find out about after the fact....
    Whoa - that's hell of a restriction. 3 years I could understand, but 12 months - that's not even a phone contract!

Edit:

Uh:

Your gadgets must be fewer than 36 months old, and either have been purchased as new directly from a manufacturer, network provider or retail store (high street or online), or if refurbished, have been purchased directly from a manufacturer or network provider (not from an online outlet or high street retail store).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the end apple have a policy of replacing nearly everything if water is detected - £800. It's a work laptop, hence trying to just pay for the battery without letting her work know.

Misses has now informed work and they will pay for it.

Thanks all.

sal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Source? Mine says 36m, granted i have never claimed but the general opinion is that they are good and not trying to screw customers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://uk.protectyourbubble.com/hou...ons-conditions

I seem to remember someone trying to claim and being told that they were outside their 12 months. Don't remember the details though, but I'd definitely want clarification before I relied on a policy like that.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

sal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://uk.protectyourbubble.com/hou...ons-conditions

I seem to remember someone trying to claim and being told that they were outside their 12 months. Don't remember the details though, but I'd definitely want clarification before I relied on a policy like that.
    Your gadget must have been purchased in the last 12 months when you insure it (or 36 months for Household Gadget Insurance policies) and you must have a proof of purchase.
    so 36m, and it's from when you insure, not when you claim. Like i said, never had to claim myself, but the general feedback is that they are not trying to screw customers with fine print and looking for ways to not pay.

+ Reply to Thread