• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC locks up - due to overheat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC locks up - due to overheat

AMD 8 core CPU. Having problems with cooling before so bought an ARCTIC FREEZER cpu cooler. Made it a bit better but not brilliant.

In terms of case fans, just one.

At the moment, CPU core gets to about 50C (which I thought is not that hot!) and then the PC freezes. I can reproduce by loading the CPU.

Is this not too hot? I thought 75C was high not 50C.

Would an extra/better case fan make a difference?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    AMD 8 core CPU. Having problems with cooling before so bought an ARCTIC FREEZER cpu cooler. Made it a bit better but not brilliant.

At the moment, CPU core gets to about 50C (which I thought is not that hot!) and then the PC freezes. I can reproduce by loading the CPU.

I almost thought this thread was about you losing your rag seeing as everyone now refers to you as PC
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      I almost thought this thread was about you losing your rag seeing as everyone now refers to you as PC
      I've just had a vision of me sitting at my desk in a catatonic state after reading one of NLUKs posts!
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Are you sure it's due to overheating?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Asked your accountant yet?

As WTFH asks are you sure this is due to heat? Not sure if you built this yourself, when I did, I had lock ups as I was setting the memory clock to high. Although the motherboard and memory should have supported the setting, I had to knock it back from the highest.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Maybe give it a little clean?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post

Couldn't be about him - he mentioned having a fan!
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Are you sure it's due to overheating?
                This ^

If it's a CPU from the last 5 years at least, you shouldn't see freezes or crashes due to overheating, unless you are running without any cooling. Thermal throttling takes care of that. anything below 80 Celsius is acceptable and shouldn't cause freezing.

Eliminate the OS/Software etc. as a cause by booting from a Live CD, either Win or Linux - Ubuntu, Mint etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  This ^

If it's a CPU from the last 5 years at least, you shouldn't see freezes or crashes due to overheating, unless you are running without any cooling. Thermal throttling takes care of that. anything below 80 Celsius is acceptable and shouldn't cause freezing.

Eliminate the OS/Software etc. as a cause by booting from a Live CD, either Win or Linux - Ubuntu, Mint etc.
                  Good point, viruses can cause such behaviour.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    This ^

Eliminate the user. Problem sorted
                    FTFY
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X