• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best UK-based web hosting site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best UK-based web hosting site

Having registered a couple of domain names (.co.uk and .com) for a blog I plan to start, the next stage is to subscribe to a web hosting site.

Any recommendations?

I suppose it would be better if the site was hosted in the UK, although this is not essential.

My main criterion is that page views must be fast, and the subscription not vastly expensive.

Also, it must be flexible in letting me configure Apache security within subdirectories etc, i.e. not a "managed" and limited environment.

(I'll want to run Wordpress, with a MathJax or MathML plugin.)

I know I could just Google something like "best UK web hosting", and indeed already have, but I also wanted to hear any esteemed CUK readers' recommendations and constructive suggestions (for example of slick-looking hosting companies that are actually awful and best avoided!)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Vidahost are good, though my website seems to go down more with them than it did with Hostpost.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Having registered a couple of domain names (.co.uk and .com) for a blog I plan to start, the next stage is to subscribe to a web hosting site.

Any recommendations?

I suppose it would be better if the site was hosted in the UK, although this is not essential.

My main criterion is that page views must be fast, and the subscription not vastly expensive.

Also, it must be flexible in letting me configure Apache security within subdirectories etc, i.e. not a "managed" and limited environment.

(I'll want to run Wordpress, with a MathJax or MathML plugin.)

I know I could just Google something like "best UK web hosting", and indeed already have, but I also wanted to hear any esteemed CUK readers' recommendations and constructive suggestions (for example of slick-looking hosting companies that are actually awful and best avoided!)
      Amazon AWS. If you're running a fully static site, you can even serve it up from S3 storage. Alternatively, you can use a small sized Virtual Machine (AWS EC2 instance) which will give you full control over the entire machine, or even just use AWS Elastic Beanstalk to host a simple site. Amazon even has a new service called Lightsail, which is a somewhat simplified version of AWS, and cheaper too.

I've posted about using AWS before, but just to be clear. I have nothing to gain from these recommendations, I'm just a very happy and satisfied customer.

Comment

I must say Amazon AWS sounds good, and there are simple instructions here for setting up a Wordpress blog on it:

https://aws.amazon.com/getting-start...press-website/
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I must say Amazon AWS sounds good, and there are simple instructions here for setting up a Wordpress blog on it:

Once the free trial is out of the way, how much does that sort of site cost (cba with clicky clicky)
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Just to give you some idea. I had a handful of small, low traffic websites running on a shared host. It used to cost be around $100 USD per year. I have a number of "monitors" (i.e. Uptime robot Site Up Time etc.) that used to ping my sites and email me an Uptime report every month. On the shared hosting, I routinely saw some outages, so the monthly uptime was something like 98 to 99.8% every month.

Around 12 months ago, I switched all my websites to run on a single AWS EC2 instance (t2.micro instance) at a slight increase in cost of around $130 USD per year, however, I have yet to receive a monthly uptime report with anything less that 100% up time for all of my sites. Plus, I now have full control over hosting as I'm running my own Virtual Machine (so I could easily put additional software on there, for example, at no extra cost).

So, whilst AWS isn't the cheapest, you'll get what you pay for and if you're after affordable and very reliable hosting, you can do far worse than AWS.

Comment

Oh, and if all you want is a Wordpress blog, definitely take a look at the AWS Lightsail functionality (which is fairly new, as of only the end of last year) as that will give you (almost) the same as what your quoted link will give you, but for an even cheaper cost (yet backed by the same reliable AWS technology).

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Once the free trial is out of the way, how much does that sort of site cost (cba with clicky clicky)
                A simple Wordpress blog on AWS Lightsail would be a flat $5 USD per month. The same thing using the "proper" AWS Management console and spawning your own EC2 instance and configuring it yourself etc. would probably set you back about $10 USD per month.

Lightsail has a fixed (albeit large) amount of bandwidth and storage space for the flat cost, whilst the "proper" AWS is all based upon the CPU/Storage/bandwidth that you use over the course of the month, which can be as little or as much as you want (hence everything is "elastic").

There's more to it than this, however, but this is the "layman's terms" if you will.

Comment

Can't recommend Easyspace :-(

Comment

Can't recommend 123-reg either.

Site performance has been poor.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X