• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network music drive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network music drive?

Not something I've looked into but it's kind of annoying I have to turn on my "main" PC to play music - I have multiple computers but my music library only lives on one of them.

When people talk about a network storage drive is that basically a hard disk that is independent of any one computer, with just enough cleverness to get on the network? Or is there more to it than that?

Do you then have to muck about or will Windows and OSX recognise it as a regular drive and let you use it as such e.g. map it as P: and tell Media Player my media library is P:\music? And likewise from my Mac. Presumably then 3rd-party systems can connect directly to the disk as well over Wifi, simultaneously?
    I hate networking so if I have to set up domains and workgroups I may well just give up!

Can anyone give me enough information to get started looking into this? Key terms, a total noob introduction, maybe an example bit of kit on Amazon?
    Or have I missed the point and I actually want a dedicated media server, some low-spec PC running 24/7?

Thanks
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Pay for Spotify and never worry about such things again?

Comment

I've got a Buffalo Linkstation. Works fine for exactly what you want, allows you to map drives (certainly to Windows and Linux, not got a Mac). I use it in conjunction with a timer plug, so that it powers off to cool down for a few hours overnight.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        I've got a Buffalo Linkstation. Works fine for exactly what you want, allows you to map drives (certainly to Windows and Linux, not got a Mac). I use it in conjunction with a timer plug, so that it powers off to cool down for a few hours overnight.
        +1 unless you want to go fully online with apple music or Spotify you need a NAS of some form. Personally I would go for a HP microserver and create your own but I understand a desire to buy one install it and run that for ever more.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          +1 unless you want to go fully online with apple music or Spotify you need a NAS of some form. Personally I would go for a HP microserver and create your own but I understand a desire to buy one install it and run that for ever more.
          I wanted something the enemy couldn't fudge up. Easier to grant her read only access to the shared folders on a glorified usb drive than to start configuring a server.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I have a WD-DL4100

It has iTunes installed and the SONOS pointed to it
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Some routers let you plug in a USB drive.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                That's a good idea. The Buffalo NAS I had cooked itself in the first 24 hours. I had to reflash it with an open source BIOS after which it worked pretty well. But ultimately I ended up smashing it apart (it was held together with glue so really did need a hammer and chisel) and removing the disk to put in the desktop.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Get a cheapo NAS if you CBA with additional config/software. If you want future proofing and unlimited features, get an HP Gen8 Microserver for like £100 and stick as much HDDs in it as you like (up to 5) then put FreeNAS or something else on it.

Personally nowadays i mostly stream music from Amazon, what i do have offline is stuffed in Plex running on Synology DSM in a VM on top HP Gen8 Microserver running ESXi. The advantages of having it in Plex are that there is client for almost any imaginable device and you can stream it online from your server to yourself and friends and it has all the nice art and eye candy.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    Get a cheapo NAS if you CBA with additional config/software. If you want future proofing and unlimited features, get an HP Gen8 Microserver for like £100 and stick as much HDDs in it as you like (up to 5) then put FreeNAS or something else on it.

Personally nowadays i mostly stream music from Amazon, what i do have offline is stuffed in Plex running on Synology DSM in a VM on top HP Gen8 Microserver running ESXi. The advantages of having it in Plex are that there is client for almost any imaginable device and you can stream it online from your server to yourself and friends and it has all the nice art and eye candy.
                    I must admit, since I got the family Spotify, the NAS has barely been used apart from for my regular backups (not sure if the rest of the family back up their stuff, but I've shown them how).

Comment

Working...
                    X